Nutrition plays a crucial role in diabetes care. Eating with right amount and type of carbohydrates, proteins and fats, along with fiber, vitamins and minerals is essential for maintaining a steady blood sugar levels. Other factors of lifestyle like staying active, getting adequate sleep and minimal stress also play an equally important role.
Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels) and Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar levels) are the two complications of diabetes which can make the diabetes management difficult. This can be managed by the choosing the right kind of dietary pattern and healthy and active lifestyle.
Therefore, it is advised to:
1) Increase the intake of low Glycemic Index (GI) carbohydrate foods - For example, low GI foods are oats, wheat bran, whole grains, oat bran, grounded wheat (dalia), brown riceIncrease fruits and vegetables intake. These can be included in the salad form as a mid-morning or mid-evening snack. Fruit juices must be avoided, as they are concentrated form of sugar
2) Reduce saturated fat intake - These include whole milk and milk products, meats, butter, fast foods etc. Opt for healthy fats like found in nuts, olive oil, oily fishes, sunflower oil, flaxseeds and canola oil
3) Reduce sugar intake in the form of sweets, candies, chocolates, ice-creams, cakes, cookies, etc - Reduce salt intake. Each meal should be a combination of low GI carbohydrates, good quality protein, and a dash of healthy fats as mentioned above.
4) Eat at regular intervals with 3 main meals and 2-3 mini meals in between - This ensures that the blood sugar levels remain steady and chances of hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia are minimized. Limit alcohol consumption.
5) Stay active throughout the day - Start with an exercise regime now. Also, do have a pre-workout meal in order to avoid chances of hypoglycemia. Diabetes is on the rise, yet most cases are preventable with healthy lifestyle changes. Some can even be reversed. Taking steps to prevent and control diabetes doesn't mean living in deprivation.While eating right is important, you don't have to give up sweets entirely or resign yourself to a lifetime of bland health food. With these tips, you can still enjoy your favourite foods and take pleasure from your meals without feeling hungry or deprived.
If you are currently diagnosed with diabetes, or are at a high risk and want to prevent it, then this plan is for you. I will work with you to design a diet which is perfect for you and helps you to control your diabetes by eating healthy.