Almost everyone has a dental problem now a days, it may be related to cavity in tooth ,mobile tooth, gum problem, malaligned teeth, bad smell, etc.
Dentistry is a branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, commonly in the dentition but also the oral mucosa, and of adjacent and related structures and tissues, particularly in the maxillofacial (jaw and facial) area.
1. Oral Medicine and Radiology - This branch deals with diagnosis of various oral diseases and its radiographs like IOPA, OPG and CBCT.
2. Oral and Maxillofacial surgery - This branch deals with tooth extraction, surgeries of oral cavity, oral fracture reduction, oral cancer excision, oral abscess and cyst enucleation.
3. Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics - This branch deals with filling of the carious tooth with various restorative agents & Root Canal Treatment.
4. Orthodontics - This branch deals with mal-alignment of tooth. Braces and tooth movement from one place to other is possible in this branch.
5. Pedodontics - This is a separate branch for the dentistry in kids. Child till the age of 14 years are treated by this branch.
6. Periodontics - This branch deals with the diseases of the gums like bleeding from the gums, bad smell from the mouth, gum surgeries etc
7. Prosthodontics - This branch deals in prosthesis means replacement of missing tooth either by removable method or by fixed method. Removable like dentures, partial dentures which need to be removed daily. Fixed means patient will not be able to remove it like dental bridges, dental crowns etc.
8. Public health dentistry - This branch works at a community level like dental camps organization, dental awareness program, health talks, tie-ups among different NGO so that community at large can get the benefit.
9. Oral Pathology - This branch deals in diagnosis of the various pathologies of the oral cavity. biopsy of the tissue is sent to this branch and after studying under microscope, they give the diagnosis, and then the treatment has to start.
At undergraduate level, students are trained in all the departments and at the post-graduation level, student has to spend 3 years in one branch only