Coronaviruses are types of viruses that typically affect the respiratory tract of mammals, including humans. They are associated with the common cold, pneumonia, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and can also affect the gut.
Signs and Symptoms of Coronavirus
The symptoms of most coronaviruses are similar to any other upper-respiratory infection, including a runny nose, coughing, sore throat, and sometimes a fever. In most cases, you won't know whether you have a coronavirus or a different cold-causing virus, such as rhinovirus.
Mode of transmission
Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- the air by coughing and sneezing
- close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- rarely, fecal contamination
In the United States, people usually get infected with common human coronaviruses in the fall and winter. However, you can get infected at any time of the year. Most people will get infected with one or more of the common human coronaviruses in their lifetime. Young children are most likely to get infected. However, people can have multiple infections in their lifetime.
Ayurveda & Coronavirus
All the diseases explained in Ayurveda can be well understood in tridosha siddhanta, where tridosha effects the Dushya i.e dhatus & malas, causing different type of pathologies. These pathologies can be named as per the pain or other agonizing symptom or change in skin colour and other affected organs. As the changes in lifestyle and environment are bound to happen, newer conditions are gaining to come up hence they should be tackled as per the tridosha theory explained in Ayurvedic classics.
In Ayurvedic Classics, Acharya Sushruta has mentioned about Aupasargic Rogas i.e communicable & contagious diseases in which it has been said that it can be transmitted by touch or breath, or through partaking of the same bed, and eating and drinking out of the same vessel with him, or through using the wearing apparel, unguents and garlands of flowers previously used by a person afflicted with this dreadful disease.
If we see to the transmission of coronavirus, the CDC (Center for Disease Control & Prevention) says that human coronaviruses are most commonly spread between an infected person and others via:
- the air (from viral particles from a cough or sneeze)·
- close personal contact (touching or shaking hands);·
- an object or surface with viral particles on it (then touching your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands);·
- and rarely from fecal contamination
In Ayurveda there is a term called “ Srotas” i.e Channel or path which carry vital nutrients to various organs. The Srotas also acts as one of the important factors in (~pathogenesis of diseases), as it is said that diseases are caused because of the obstruction in the Srotas. The srotas related with the transportation & transfusion of Prana vayu (Life Sustaining air) in the human body is coined as Pranavaha Srotas (respiratory system).
This pranavaha srotas gets vitiated because of various reasons like Raja (dust particles which are visible or may not bevisible, containing viruses), Dhuma (smoke containing air pollutants) shitasthana (cold Environment ). This Raja when enters through mouth and nose develops disease like kasa( cough), Hikka (hiccups), Shwas (Breathing problems like cough or throat irritation), pratishaya (Running or stuffy nose ) which are similar to corona virus.
Prevention methods of Coronavirus
Best way to prevent is to avoid getting exposed to this virus:
- Use mask while going in public places.
- Wash your hands with soap or water at least for 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth & nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at home if you are sick as your immunity is less.
- Cover yourself while coughing and sneezing with a tissue and throw the tissue in trash.
- Clean and Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Prevention or Arrest viral Entry at its Gateway by Pratimarsh Nasya Therapy.
- Apply cow ghee or sesame oil inside each nostril to prevent the entry.
- Application of neem oil on the skin.
- Decongestant inhalation: 1 teaspoon ginger or 10 drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water and do steam inhalation.
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies
- Eating Giloy or Tulsi daily can increase your immunity.
- Drinking Turmeric milk daily is also good for improving your health.
- Taking Ashwagandha is another good herb for fighting with such conditions.
- Eating 1-2 leaves of neem can also work good in prevention of viral infections.
Ayurvedic Management Of Coronavirus
Life starts with breath and ends with Breathlessness. Life can be maintained by proper functioning of Pranavaha srotas which is in connection (moolsthna) with Hrudya (Heart) and Dashadhaminis. This can be managed on the lines of Pratishaya, kasa, shwas & Jwara. If symptoms of gastrointestinal track like loss of appetite, indigestion etc are found along with it than it should also be treated along with it.
Oja (Immunity ) of the patient should be increase with the help of rasayans.
Rasayanas are the drugs which helps in delaying aging process, increases longevity, and Intelligence and provide disease resistant power to the individual.
Best rasayan to prevent coronavirus can be Giloy, Tulsi, Agastya rasayan, Pippali rasayana.
Drugs which can help in prevention can be Tribhuvan kirti ras, Laxmi Vilas ras, Mahalakshmi Vilas ras,Chitrak Haritaki, Eladi vati, Talisadi churna, Sitopaladi churna, Kantakari ghrita, Vasa ghrita, Shwas kas chinta mani ras.Al-Cure.
Single herbs which can be used effectively in these type of cases can be Kantakari, Pushkarmool, Harikti, Pippali, Tulsi, Sati, Brihati, Amalaki, Elaichi.
Dhoopan karma an Ayurvedic treatment can be used to prevent the viral attack.
Dhupana Karma is the use of medicated fumes (by burning of dried plant & animal parts). We can consider it as a yagya or Havan at the place where we are living.It includes fumigation for creating aseptic environment for the healthy beings so that no infectious disease can develop, especially wards fumigation and mass areas.
Acharya Kashyap has explained Arishta dhoop which destroys all diseases. You can use Cow dung (Gobar) for burning the fire and add cow ghee along with nimb patra, neem fruit, neem bark to make smoke. Let this smoke circulate the place where you are living to prevent the virus entry.
We can also use Guggal, Sarso (mustard) , Devdaru, Jatamansi etc.
Prevention is better than cure. So increase your immunity to prevent the virus entry inside you.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational purposes only. Users must not view the content as medical advice in any way. Users are also required to’ NOT SELF MEDICATE’ and always consult a practicing specialist before taking any medicines or undergoing any treatment. Practo and the Practitioner will not be responsible for any act or omission by the User arising from the User’s interpretation of the content.