Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the tonsils. The tonsils are a pair of soft tissue masses located at the back of the mouth. Tonsillitis can occur at any age and it is most commonly diagnosed in children. Symptoms are like a sore throat, swollen tonsils, and fever. Tonsillitis is most often used by viruses, & bacterial infections according to the etiological factors.
Common causes of tonsillitis:
- Viral tonsillitis- Viruses are the most common cause of tonsillitis. Viruses that cause most of the acute tonsillitis are the adenovirus, rhinovirus, influenza, coronavirus, and respiratory syncytial virus. Less common viruses are the herpes simplex virus, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), cytomegalovirus, and HIV.
- Bacterial tonsillitis- Bacterial infections can also cause tonsillitis. Bacterial tonsillitis (strep throat)is caused by Group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcus pyogenes (GABHS).
Other Common Causative Factors:
- Tonsillitis can spread from one person to another person by coughing, sneezing and kissing.
- Adults who have some form immune deficiency condition (for e.g. HIV-infected patients) are also susceptible to tonsillitis.
- Abuse of antibiotics- abuse of antibiotics can destroy the normal flora of organisms in the mouth and triggers the tonsillitis.
- Uncontrolled diabetes is also one causes of tonsillitis.
Symptoms of Tonsillitis:
The common sign and symptoms of tonsillitis are a follows:
- Throat pain - Pain in the throat is the common symptoms of any type of tonsillitis. The pain may last more than 48 hours.There are soreness and tenderness during swallowing of anything. Even empty swallowing also causes pain
- The pain may sometimes be referred to the ears.
- There is sometimes foul odour from the mouth affected by strep throat.
- The submaxillary lymph nodes are enlarged and tendered in case severe acute tonsillitis.
- In strep throat, there is a whitish coating on the tongue
- Signs of dehydration may be found by examination of skin and mucosa.
- Severe lethargy, feverishness or low-grade of fever accompanied by acute tonsillitis.
- A grey membrane covering tonsils are found from an EBV infection.
- Pinpoint red spots are found on the soft palate in case of EBV infection
- There are a headache and heaviness of head.
- Hoarseness of voice or changes in the voice.
- High to moderate fever.
- There is snoring in children if the adenoids are enlarged.
- Pain in the ear due to the blocking of the eustachian tube.
- On Examination shows intense redness of tonsils and pharynx.
Homeopathy treatment for Tonsillitis:
Homeopathy treatment can be divided into 2 types according to the types of tonsillitis and approach to treatment.
1. Acute tonsillitis homeopathic treatment- in acute tonsillitis, there are symptoms with higher intensity and required a treatment that can give relief within a short period of time. So in this approach, it is required to consider the all acute symptoms and selecting of medicines in homeopathy basis and if given can able to control the acute symptoms instantly. These types of treatment called clinical treatment.
2. Chronic tonsillitis homeopathic treatment- in chronic tonsillitis where the acute symptoms are not so much prominent but having enlarged tonsils with very fewer symptoms. Here it is required a treatment to cure tonsillitis for a long period of time by applying the most classical approach to constitutional homeopathic treatment. The constitutional treatment is purely based on the totality of symptoms of the person. As per the totality of symptoms, whatever medicine comes if it is given in a systematic way for a longer period of time can help to cure tonsillitis for years together even permanently.
What is plus point of homoeopathy treatment in tonsillitis?
- It gives rapid relief to the acute condition of tonsillitis in compare to other therapy·
- It not only cures tonsillitis but cures the allergic sensitivity of the person’s immune system so he/she leads a healthy life for lifelong.
- Homeopathy medicines are very safe and without any side effects. So it cures the disease in a very smooth and holistic way·
- It is given to all age group from 1 cay infant to 80 years old person.
- It is very palatable for small children as it gives in globules. The little kids are very fascinated to take these sweet pills.
- Homeopathy offers a long-term cure as it modifies the hypersensitive nature of person’ immune system to a healthy functioning immune system.