Eyes are most important sense organ; for daily activities we depend on eyes but hardly anyone pays attention to eyes unless there is a problem. Stress and strain related eye disorders are common now a days due to all day long use of computer and other gadgets, even kids are seen wearing spectacles due to over exposure to TV and mobile screens other than that bad posture during studies, wrong food and irregular lifestyle also effects eyes.
Myopia, hypermetropia, cataract, glaucoma, dry eyes, watering eyes etc. are few eye disorders.
According to Ayurveda, dosha imbalance especially pitta dosha imbalance can cause eye disorders. By following some simple tips and exercise you can protect your eyes.
For correction of refractive errors and other eye diseases following exercises are very helpful:
* Palming - rub palms for 10 seconds and then place on closed eyes without pressure, this complete black field relaxes the eyes.
* Rotate eyes in clockwise and anticlockwise direction, both with open and closed eyes.
* Close both eyes tightly and then open them widely; repeat 10 times.
* Sit facing candle flame ,1 feet apart, move forward and backward 25 to 50 times.
* Yoga poses like Surya namaskar, bhujangasana,savasana etc are good for eye.
Few other eye disorders preventive practices are:
* Massage feet with oil regularly.
* Keeping mouthful of water for few minutes 2-4 times a day.
* Keeping wet palm on eyes for few seconds.
* Avoid sudden change of temperature like splashing eyes with cold water when body is hot and sweaty.
* Do not splash eyes with icy cold or hot water. Use fresh cold or warm water.
* Wash eyes with Triphala water (soak 1 teaspoon of triphala overnight in water in morning filter this water)
* Place cold water or rose water dipped cotton pads on eyes.
* Avoid regular hot water on head.
* Avoid excess salty and sour food.
* Avoid excessive alcohol and tobacco.
* Avoid day time sleeping and night awakening. Take good sleep at night.
* Avoid reading and working in dim or extremely bright light.
* Avoid excessive gazing at any object, staring TV from close, excessive weeping, suppressing natural urges, excessive anger and grief.
*Include barley, green moong, karela, brinjal, drumstick, pumpkin, radish,raw banana, coriander, curry leaves, turmeric ,Amla, tomato,dates, almond etc in diet.
* Fruits like apple, orange, grapes,mango, papaya, guava, pomegranate etc are good for eyes.
* Few conditions like constipation, diabetes etc also effect eyes adversely.
Diet, medicine and therapies are suggested according to patient's condition.
*Internal medicine like Triphala ghrita, saptamrit lauh, yashtimadhu churna etc are prescribed.
* Medicated anjan, nasal drops, netra tarpan etc are helpful remedies.
* Mix triphala, honey and ghee to make paste, take this paste at night for 3-4 months or more.
* Chew cardamom seeds with honey.