It is technically known as augmentation mammaplasty, a surgical procedure to enhance the shape and size of a woman’s breast. The surgery offers you with an opportunity to improve your body contour and achieve a more proportionate figure. It helps to restore the shape and size of the breast lost due to various reasons, the most common being the result of having children.
A few facts you should know about breast augmentation surgery are as follows:
- The length of the surgery is usually 1-2 hours.
- The anesthesia used is usually local anesthesia with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- The length of the stay is usually 1-3 days.
- During the recovery phase , initially mild to moderate discomfort can be felt. Minimal activity for several days is advisable. You can go back to work in 3-10 days. Avoid sternous exercise for atleast 30 days.
- Scarring that is present is minimal which is concealed in the dark area surrounding the nipple , the crease beneath the breast and the armpit. The scars take atleast 6 weeks to fade away and are usually inconspicuous thereafter.
- Complications are unlikely if you are in the hands of a well trained, qualified and trained plastic surgeon.
The implants used for breast augmentation are not lifelong devices and they do not age with the woman’s body with time. There is no method to predict how long the implants will maintain their softness, appearance and function but the results are successful and comparatively long lasting if done by an expert.The surgery increases the self esteem of the woman.The woman opting for the surgery are much more confident and motivated after the surgery.The studies have shown that these women are happier than they were before the procedure.