Have you ever noticed bleeding from your gums while brushing or biting on an apple or any food? If yes, then better get alert, this is a sign of some underlying disease. Let us discuss some common causes of gum bleeding and methods to overcome them.
- Gum disease like Gingivitis or Periodontitis - This is the most common cause of bleeding gums. It is caused by deposition of plaque and tartar on the teeth near the gum line. Many people will also have bad odor and sensitive teeth along with gum bleeding. This disease should be treated as early as possible as ignorance may lead to loosening of teeth and eventually tooth loss.
- Hard toothbrush - Many people think that using a hard toothbrush helps in better cleaning of teeth. In fact, hard toothbrush causes trauma to the gums and often causes them to bleed.
- Vitamin C deficiency - This vitamin plays an important role in maintaining integrity of gums and thus its deficiency causes swelling in gums and bleeding.
- Pregnancy - Hormonal changes during pregnancy are often a cause of gum bleeding. This can be prevented by maintaining proper oral care.
Other conditions like Purpura, Hemophilia, Leukemia, vitamin K deficiency, etc can also cause bleeding gums but these are quiet rare and can be diagnosed by blood examination.
Tips to manage bleeding gums
- Professional teeth cleaning - If you notice even a single drop of blood from your gums, get a dental advice and get your teeth cleaned so that gum disease can be prevented as well as managed at the earliest.
- Use a soft to medium toothbrush, brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Massage your gums with mustard oil or olive oil mixed with a pinch of salt.
- Eat more of citrus fruits.
- Visit your dentist every six months.
Good oral health will lead to good general health. Let your healthy smile be an inspiration to the world. Stay healthy. Stay blessed.