What is Adenoid ??
- Adenoid is a lump of lymphoid tissue that sits between the tonsils, higher up in the back of the mouth. Adenoids are non-cancerous, soft overgrowths that develop within the nose or sinuses. They appear like grapes and can develop single or in clusters. Adenoids are resultant of an allergy that weakens the wall of the nasal mucous membrane causing ballooning of this wall followed by filling of the sac with a liquid. It may become bulky enough to entirely occlude the nasal passages, blocking the pathways where the sinuses drain into the nose. These swollen glands then develop deeper crypts and pockets which can trap and house infecting germs like bacteria and virus for a long time, leading to a further increase in size of the adenoid glands.
- After the age of 3 to 7 years, the swelling begins to subside and may shrink dramatically by the time that the child reaches adulthood.
- An X- ray of soft tissue neck is needed to confirm the diagnosis of enlarged adenoids
What does it do?
Adenoids traps germs that enter the body through the nose. The main function of adenoids is to produce the defence cells and fight infections like bacteria and viruses that one breathes in or swallows. By making antibodies, they help the young child's body fight respiratory tract infections.
- Chronic nasal blockage can lead to increased rates of ear infections and persistence of fluid in the middle ear area which leads pseudo deafness.
- Collection of Ear wax can cause increased ear pressure leading to ear pain or ear aches, leading to a suspicion of ear infection.
- Due to nasal obstruction, with resultant chronic mouth breathing can lead to permanent changes in the facial shape – “adenoidal facies” with elongation of the face and an open-mouthed, slack-jaw appearance.
- Speaking with a nasal sound, difficulty sleeping, snoring, and sleep apnea.
- It may also accompany sore throat, stuffy nose, swollen glands, ear pain, and even ear infection
HOME REMEDIES :
1. 1 teaspoon of honey with few drops of lemon juice and garlic crushed in it 2 -3 times a day daily. 2. Cod Liver Oil : It increases lymph supply thus reduces chances of inflammation.( Specially kids above 12yrs )
3. Garlic : Inhale the mild roasted garlic pod smell . Reduces inflammation .
4. Salt water gargle : Add a tablespoon of salt to hot water and gargle with the concoction. When you gargle, the high concentration of salt in the water will absorb water from the inflamed and swollen tissues
5. Turmeric Milk at night before bed
SCOPE OF HOMOEOPATHY:
The Homeopathic philosophy strongly believes in preserving the nature and all its creations, thus we are against the removal of Adenoids. Homeopathic medicines do not take very long to show positive results . How much and how long they need to be taken depends on the severity of the condition and the patient bodily response .
- Homeopathic medicines used in the treatment of adenoids cure the infections completely
- Reduces the size of the adenoids .
- Reduces the complication of adenoids like fluid collection in ear tubes .
- Naturally improve the immunity of the kid by default during the course of treatment.
- Mouth breathing and snoring reduces to an greater extend.
- Post surgery - one can continue homoeopathy medicines to avoid the regrowth of adenoids.
So if you are going to remove the adenoids or tonsils, it is just like removing the guards who often get attacked by infections while safeguarding us, which is not a wise decision. According to my experience I have seen kids getting completely cured in 6 months , at the same time few kids takes time to respond even 2 years. At the end of treatment they develop very good immunity . Also we had helped cases of adenoid to revert back to normal state even at the verge of surgery. Trust in the system , regularity , patience and following physician advices strictly had surely helped the patient to lead a normal life after treatment.