Question: Respected doctor, I am 26 years old unmarried girl, suffering with pimples for last 5 years, I have taken many treatments but no effect. Why do pimples occur? Is there any treatment in Homeopathy system of medicines?
Doctor Answer: Hi Dear, No worries, Homeopathy treatment is helpful. Please find the complete details about acne – pimples below.
• Acne/Pimples is more common in the age group of 13 - 30 years.
• But it may occur or persist even beyond this age limit.
• Males are more frequently affected than females due to androgen activity.
• Females may get a pre-menstrual flare due to the increase in level of a hormone called Progesterone.
What is inside Acne/Pimples?
The skin has minute glands called sebaceous glands which open into the hair follicle. These glands secrete an oily substance called sebum, which empties into the skin surface through the hair follicle. During puberty, the male sex hormones which are normally present both in males and females are on the rise and they activate the sebaceous glands to increase in size, which in turn leads to increase in the secretion of sebum. Secondly, the cells are shed more rapidly and they stick together, plugging the opening of the hair follicle, resulting in 'white heads'. The pigment melanin in the whiteheads when exposed to air, forms blackheads. Thirdly, bacteria especially the ' propionibacterium acne' in number and add to the formation of acne. When the follicle gets clogged, its wall ruptures. The sebum, bacteria and dead cells escape into the surrounding tissue and lead to formation of more severe form of acne in form of pustules, nodules, abscesses and cysts.
Reasons for formation of Acne?
Acne commonly occurs in people who are genetically predisposed.
• Use of cosmetics such as creams, oil based moisturizers, oil based foundations can cause acne.
• Application of heavy oil or gel on the scalp leads to pimples on the back and forehead.
• People who work in chemical or oil industries and come in contact with hydrocarbons, heavy oils, and cutting oil, wax, and grease and coal tar derivatives can develop acne.
• People working in hot and humid climate can develop acne.
• Drugs such as oral contraceptives, steroids, isoniazid, lithium, phenytoin, iodides etc., can cause pimples.
• Squeezing or picking at a pre-existing lesion will lead to secondary infection and increased pigmentation.
• Stress will exacerbate acne.
• Finally, if acne persists in spite of medical treatment or if the patient has other features such as hair loss, an endocrine disorder must be considered and investigations carried out accordingly.
Do’s and Don'ts with Acne
1. Wash your face with a mild soap or cold water at least 2-3 times a day.
2. Increase the intake of citrus fruits such as oranges, grapes, lime and lemon and other food stuff which are high in Vitamin C and Zinc.
3. Drink plenty of water.
4. Do not pick or squeeze the pimples as this causes infection, pigmentation and scarring.
5. Avoid the use of oily cosmetics, cleansing milk and gels.
6. Do not apply excessive hair oil if you have acne over the forehead.
7. Avoid stress factors.
8. Be patient and give medicines some time to act.
Homeopathic Medicines act very well without any side-effect for Acne and Pimples, and also as an anti-ageing catalyst.