Acne is one of the most common problems in India, especially with oily skin. But the solutions in the market are many. From creams to injections, to pills, the patient is spoilt for choice, and often confused on what to do (or not). Dr DeepaliBhardwaj, a leading dermatologist, spills the beans on how to treat that acne.
- Keep it clean: The most important thing when your skin is acne-prone is to keep it clean. Use a mild facewash (preferably with 1/2 % Salicylic acid or Vitamin C) to wash your face twice a day, i.e. in the morning and before going to bed. A wash containing lemon and tea-tree oil that has natural acne-fighting properties is ideal. Try not to use harsh, chemical-based products. Instead opt for natural,paraben-free brands. One could also opt for a facial like an oxy-clean-up that removes blackheads, cleans the pores and is quite effective in fighting acne.
- Mask it well: Apart from opting for facial at a salon, home-based masks made of natural products also help to cleanse the skin. If suffering from acne, use a mask made of half a lemon’s juice with 1 teaspoon raw honey on your skin once or twice a week. You can also apply fresh Aloe-Vera gel, grated cucumber or Multani mitti (fullers earth) with some drops or rose water for a cooling effect. But make sure not to scrub the skin too hard so as not to burst the pimples. Be soft and gentle with your skin while cleansing it.
- Minimal Make-up: Acneis prone to the oily and sensitive skin. So try not to use too many makeup products on the skin when going through this condition. You could use a light foundation to cover the marks, but make sure that it is of a good brand in order to ensure quality. And remember to remove the makeup before you sleep.
- Sunny Side-up: Using sunscreen on the acne-prone skin can be a challenge in itself. For the Indian weather, one should use a sunscreen with minimum SPF 30. But when it comes to acne, only checking the SPF of a sunscreen is not enough. Some sunscreens can actually clog your pores and cause more acne. Physical sunscreens that reflect the UV rays work well on oily skin. A Physical sunscreen with Zinc Titanium is good for oily skin as it has a drying effect. Also look for the term ‘non-comedogenic than means that the product is designed to ‘not clog pores’. One can also opt for a sunscreen powder that locks the make-up in place along with cutting down on the facial oil and providing protection from the sun.
- As Within, So Without: It is important to eat foods that can help you get rid of toxins in the body. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits like lemon and orange are very helpful in getting rid of toxins in the body. Green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale, and seasonal fruits like apples, strawberries, guava and grapes are sure to make your skin glow if eaten regularly. However, do avoid fruits high in sugar like mangoes and bananas. Fried snacks or items made with ghee and butter are a strict no as they have a direct impact on your skin.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Apart from pollution and skin texture, Acne can also be caused by hormonal imbalance.So, it is ideal to visit a gynaecologist and take proper medication if your hormones need some help in working efficiently.
- Scarred no more: However, if the acne is severe and you do need treatment for the same, we suggest aRadio Frequency (RF) remove it. However, if there is a scar or mark on your face from the past, worry not. Your past can haunt you no more. With laser treatment, you can get a smooth flawless skin once again in a few sessions.
- Pills to the rescue: There are also pills that can help you remove the acne spots and get clearer skin, but take them only if advised by a certified dermatologist and do not self-medicate.
Do visit a certified dermatologist if suffering from acne. Even though acne is common in India, it is a very sensitive condition and needs proper care so as not to leave a mark or develop into a bigger problem. And last but not the least, how you think and feel about yourself reflects directly on your skin. So, think positive thoughts and be joyful always! So, do not let the scars of your past limit you anymore. Create a new look (and life) with cosmetology and look forward to a new hope.