- 60% of Indian population defecates in the open\
- Annually 2.4 million Indian children die of diarrhea, caused by open defecation
- GOI spends INR 12 billion on rectifying ailments resulting from improper sanitation
- 78% girls in rural India drop out of school owing to inadequate sanitation facilitiesIndian
- Railways spends INR 350 Crore annually on rectifying rail corrosion
- Only 31% of our country's population has access to proper sanitation facilities
- Only 11% of the Indian rural families dispose child excretion safely
- 80% of children's solid excretion is left in the open or thrown into the garbage
- Over 75% of our country's population has access to Mobile Phones but basic Sanitation is a remote dream.
- Untreated human waste leads to Viral Gastroenteritis, Typhoid, Cholera, Jaundice, Diarrhea, Viral Hepatitis, Malaria and Chikungunya.
Having proper sanitation facilities not only will improve health of the population in general but will have several lateral impacts like reduced school drop out rates, saving money for Railways.
So next time you think of spending some money on charity, consider providing a toilet to a family who do not have one.
Your small contribution will change lives of many.