Teeth help us to chew and digest food. They help us to talk, and to pronounce different sounds clearly. Finally, teeth help to give our face its shape. A healthy smile can be a great asset; and because this is so important, it makes sense to give your teeth the best care possible.
The good news is maintaining a healthy mouth only requires a few minutes of your time daily.
- Brushing for 2 minutes effectively, twice daily is mandatory. Ideally brushing after dinner , can be followed by brushing after breakfast the next morning.
- A great way to improve gum health, is to massage them with a clean finger , this improves blood circulation.
- Flossing is meant to be done prior to regular brushing , although if you have large gaps between your teeth, then using an inter-dental cleaning brush would be recommended. Water and air flosses are now available and can be effectively used as an alternative to traditional thread floss.
- While a mouthwash is not necessary, rinsing your mouth vigorously with water after all meals, snacks and even beverages , helps minimize food accumulation and staining.
- While oil pulling is good for you, it can only be an adjunct to the brush - floss -massage protocol and not replace them.
- Balanced diet with less sticky and more fibrous foods especially rich in Vitamin C also aids the overall health of your mouth.
- Too many fizzy drinks can erode your enamel, so daily consumption is a bad idea.
- If you like deserts, avoid the chewy , sticky variety. A piece of dark chocolate after dinner can be your treat.
- Smoking is bad for you and for your teeth, as are other tobacco products.
- Visiting the dentist once a year should be part of your routine, and your doctor can help further educate and encourage you, on how to maintain your teeth for life.