Best wishes to all women on the occasion of International Women’s Day!
The menstrual cycle is the regular natural change that occurs in the uterus and ovaries that make the pregnancy possible during the productive age group i.e. 12 yrs. To 50 yrs.
Menstrual cycle is a natural protection of the woman body. It is governed by hormonal changes. Hormones are governed by Emotions, Exercise and Timely food intake. These 3 factors maintain the biological clock of woman’s body. If it is timely then the menstrual cycle becomes regular (21 to 35 days is the range for normal menstrual cycle). The average menstrual cycle lasts for 28 days.
But many women from their Menarche (onset of menses in childhood) suffer from severe pain; before or during menses; called as dysmenorrhoea. Pain radiates from lower back to lower abdomen, vagina, thighs and legs. Some feel severe headache, body ache and vomiting as premenstrual symptoms. All these symptoms make women very stressful.
Broadly, there are two categories of Dysmenorrhoea—
- Pains because of anatomical pelvic pathology - E.g. Fibroids, Adenomyosis, Endometriosis etc.
- Pains in absence of pelvic pathology - E.g. Hormonal changes, Water retention, PCOD, etc
For the first category, women should take Doctor’s advice. Sonography will confirm the diagnosis. Woman may need surgical intervention.
For the second category, here are some tips to naturally soothe severe menstrual pain:
- Exercise — Daily exercise will reduce the severity of pains; especially, Soorya namaskar, bending exercises, Yogasanas, swimming and running.
- Water Intake — Drink ample of warm water or Cumin seeds decoction (Jeera boiled water), 7 days before the menstruation. That will reduce the water retention, congestion.
- Salt Intake — Before 7 days of menses, avoid extra salt in food stuffs and avoid salty food stuffs like pickles, papads, wafers, cheese, salty butter etc. This will also help in reducing water retention.
- Avoid --- some food stuffs, which may accelerate the pain like Chana dal, besan, potatoes should be avoided 7 days before menses.
- Daily --- Take Ajwain, dil seeds powder after meals with hot water. This home remedy will reduce the pain during menses.
- Local Applications — During Painful menses, one can apply Asafoetida (hing) mixed with little bit hot water on lower abdomen. Hot fermentations with hot water bag or heating pad on lower back and lower abdomen.
- Home remedy for constipation - Constipation increases the severity of pain. Hence, to reduce constipation, take 1 fist black currant. Add 400 ml water to it. Boil it. Reduce it up to 100 ml. filter it and drink it. You can eat boiled black currant also.
With these remedies also, if anyone has no relief then it’s better to consult Gynecologist.