There are 2 kinds of sugar i.e. simple and complex .Simple sugar breaks down very quickly in the body and causes energy fluctuations. This type of sugar includes refined and processed sugar found in table sugar and kind added to most sweets. Consuming too much of it can lead to numerous health problems. In order to avoid excessive consumption of sugar and to stay away from health problems, use the following tips.
1. Eat balanced meals-Balanced meals contain all major and minor nutrients .It will also contain enough fiber to control your sugar cravings. Basically, fiber helps reduce cravings.
2. Introduce healthy fat-The body also requires good fats .Eating good fats reduces sugar cravings .Try to choose healthier oils like olive oil, mustard oil and some refined oil with healthy fortification added to it. Nuts also offer good fats.
3. Opt for healthier options-Always opt for healthier food options. Choose salads over sandwiches, whole wheat pasta over normal pasta, brown rice over white rice, etc. Healthier foods will keep you fuller for longer and prevent cravings.
4. Avoid emotional eating-Try to avoid sugar if you’re down or having a bad day. Consuming sugar signals the brain to release serotonin, a happy hormone. Emotional eating is a vicious circle, so try to stay away from sugar loaded and fried foods during such emotional phases. They might improve you mood temporarily, but will affect your health in the long term. Keep yourself busy with some other activities like listening to music, going for a run, etc.
5. Exercise regularly-Working out at least 5 days a week will help the body to balance blood sugar levels and prevent sugar fluctuations. Exercising even controls our cravings and prevents us from making poor food choices. Make it a point to do some sort of physical activity every day.
6. Keep healthy snacks at home/office-Do not keep unhealthy, high sugar or fried snacks at home/office. Keep healthier snacks such as nuts, roasted chickpeas, yogurt and fruits handy.
7. Good Water intake-Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day to prevent overeating and bingeing. When the body is dehydrated, it sometimes signals the brain that its hungry, and we tend to overeat. The next time you crave food at an odd hour have a glass of water, because chances are that you are probably dehydrated and not hungry.