Sore throat is usually due to a viral infection and like all virals they run their course and go away. But you can do a few things at home to tide over the illness.
Start gargling with warm salt water every few hours. Along with providing symptomatic relief, it also reduces the viral load in your throat. So, come on, don't be lazy!
1. Drink plenty of fluids like water, juices, soups, coconut water, milkshakes etc. Remember that only a well hydrated body fights infections. You can drink anything (not alcohol) including fresh fruit juices and packet soups.
2. Avoid foods and drinks from the refrigerator, they aggravate the symptoms.
3. Avoid A/C and fan. They dehydrate the body and cause dryness of nose and throat and thereby prolong the course of the illness.
4. Vitamin C helps. So drink lots of lemonade, have mosambis and oranges.
5. Get some rest, it hastens recovery. Take time off work and sleep it off. If your colleagues curse you, tell them its for their own good.
6. Take an over the counter pain killer if required. Never never pop antibiotics without a prescription.
7. If you don't seem to get better, see a doctor.