Your eyes are one of your most important sense organs: 80% of what we perceive comes through our sense of sight. By protecting your eyes, you will reduce the odds of blindness and vision loss and also stay away from developing eye diseases such as cataracts and glaucoma.
The 'work from home' situation and excessive use of electronic gadgets is causing eye fatigue. To combat this eye fatigue and other eye-related complaints, here are seven essential eye care tips:
1. Wash eyes with cold water - Wash your eyes with a splash of cold water, at least 3-4 times a day. Water is a wonderful cleanser. It improves circulation and relaxes the blood vessels. Thus, it plays an effective role in soothing fatigued eyes. Soak a cotton ball in cold water and apply to the eyes for 10 minutes.
2. Apply warm compresses - Warm compresses are yet another way to relax your eye muscles and dry eyes, especially after a long day of staring at computer screens and books. Soak a cotton ball in mild lukewarm water, close your eyes, and apply it to your eyes at least for 10 minutes.
3. Use aloe vera - Aloe vera's natural healing and soothing properties will help to lessen puffiness and increase blood circulation around the eye area. Apply cool aloe vera gel using cotton pads to your strained eyes, leave it for 10 minutes. It definitely has a rejuvenating effect.
4. Sliced cucumber for hydration - Cucumber comprises many essential vitamins and minerals. It has an anti-inflammatory effect that helps in reducing puffiness and redness of the eyes. Its high water content helps in hydrating the skin, especially around the eyes. Place freshly cut slices of cucumber and apply on the eyes for 10 minutes. Do this practice for at least 4 days a week for relaxing your fatigued eyes.
5. Milk - Milk contains lactic acid and alpha-hydroxy acid. Alpha-hydroxy acid acts as an exfoliant and has a special effect on the eyes. Cotton pads soaked in milk and if placed on the eyes, helps to erase puffiness and redness. This is one of the most effective natural remedies for tired, dull-looking eyes.
6. Green tea bags - Green tea bags are a great way to reduce the puffiness of the eyes. Green tea contains essential anti-oxidants which help in providing a calming and soothing effect to the eyes. Soak green tea bags in clean water and apply them to puffy eyes and let it work its magic.
7. Eye massage - Lastly, another important way of keeping your eyes healthy is with eye massage. Gently massage with clean fingers beneath your eyes and also around temples. This helps in maintaining proper blood circulation around the eyes, stimulates tear glands and thereby keeps the eyes from drying out. Do this for 5 minutes, every day at night before sleeping.