Though knee pain can’t be stated to be inevitable after a certain age, the fact is that a significant part of the population suffers from it. Moreover, keeping in view the Indian lifestyle, the body is supposed to give in earlier than it should be. As a person ages, there’s a drastic change in the physical activeness of the body and hence giving rise to various problems including knee pain. If you or someone from your family is also going through the same phase and experience knee pain more often, you should keep in consideration the following points to reduce knee pain:
- Walking: As mentioned above, inactivity is the root cause of knee pain in most of the cases. As the workload decreases with age, elder people tend to stop their physical movement. To balance it, one must make it a routine to go for morning/evening walks to keep a check on your body’s energy utilization and keep it fit. A sedentary lifestyle makes knees stiff and hence painful.
- Massage Therapy: It helps in reducing mild pain in the knee. Take some quantity of olive or other massage oil, and apply it to your knee area and massage it for a while. You will feel the difference. Repeat it at least twice a day.
- Calcium: Add calcium preparations to your diet. Milk is a rich source of calcium so you can add milk products to your daily intake. It helps you make your bones stronger and getting rid of knee pain or any kind of joint pain.
- Cold compress: Applying cold compress is a great and simple way to get rid of pain and swelling in your knees. Just wrap ice cubes into a hand towel and compress it to the painful area of your knee for about 10-15 minutes. The procedure can be repeated several times a day till the pain subsides.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known well for its healing properties. It has anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties that help in getting rid of knee pain. You can add it to various foods or milk to include it in your diet every day. Make sure you are using natural turmeric and not the adulterated ones found in the market these days.
- Lose Weight: If your weight more than you should at this age, you should seriously consider losing out some fat before it worsens. Obesity increases the burden on your knees and results in severe pain.