Fish oil comes from the tissues of oily fish. It is extremely beneficial because it contains omega 3 fatty acids: EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). The human brain is comprised of 60% fats, and approximately half of that fat is DHA, omega 3. This might mean that nature intended the human brain to be “powered” by fats, so if you don’t have enough, your brain might not be able to run properly.
Consuming fish oil has many benefits from reducing risk of cancer to weight loss.
- Fish Oil capsules - Here are few health benefits of popping that fish oil capsule everyday:
- Brain Health: Boosts your memory and focus capabilities, improves the growth area associated with behavior, and decreases depression and suicide risk. Researches from Harvard School of Public Health have shown deficiencies in omega 3 fats have been linked to depression, anxiety, mood swings, bipolar disorder, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Heart Health: Fish oil that is high in omega 3 fatty acids helps prevent heart disease by keeping your heart strong and healthy. Fish oil helps with cholesterol regulation and helps reduce the formation of clots. American Heart Association mentioned “Omega 3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of or who have cardiovascular disease.” Research has also shown that omega 3′s can help reduce or prevent heart rhythm abnormalities by making the heart stronger.
- Arthritis Aches and Pains: Studies have shown that fish oil supplementation, rich in omega 3′s, can help alleviate these pains due to inflammation in those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.
- During Pregnancy or infancy: Omega- 3 is required for the fetus brain to develop properly; it needs a great deal of the omega 3′s, DHA and EPA. Adequate levels of omega 3 intake are associated with less attention deficit and hyperactivity and higher IQ’s among infants.
- Psoriasis, Acne, and Other Skin Disorders: Fish oils have anti-inflammatory properties which help acne or other skin disorders get much better.
- Cancers: DHA and EPA omega 3′s, found in fatty fish and fish oil supplements, may protect against these types of cancers including breast, prostate, testicular and ovarian cancer.
Latest research is showing that fish oil consumption also helps in reducing belly fat, and boosting muscle growth.
Best Ratio of DHA to EPA: Both DHA and EPA have different physiological roles. DHA omega-3 fatty acids are recognized as a physiologically-essential nutrient in the brain and retina. It's required in high concentrations for providing optimal mental performance (cognitive function, memory, focus, learning ability) and visual acuity.
While EPA plays an important role in regulating blood flow and maintaining a healthy heart system.
As far as the EPA: DHA ratio of a fish oil supplement goes look out for 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.