Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Similar to patients with other flu-like diseases, patients with known COVID-19 have reported mild to severe symptoms which can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Older people and people of all ages with severe underlying health conditions — like heart disease, lung disease, and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness. At this time, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19.
Considering the severity of the disease and the infect-ability of the condition, the government has advised everyone to maintain good general hygiene, including personal hygiene and general disinfection of your surroundings. Here are a few daily use objects which you may forget to disinfect:
1. Mobile phones and it's cover: our phones are in our hands on a daily basis, with constant contact with your fingers and face; thus it makes sense to disinfect it on a regular basis. Please ensure to remove your phone from its cover and wipe it down using a hand sanitizer. Also wipe down the cover separately.
2. Our credit/debit cards: we use our debit and credit cards in public places like supermarkets, ATMs, etc where most individuals use their cards. as these are all touching surfaces, please ensure to wipe down your cards and your hands with a hand sanitizer after use.
3. Public places touched on a daily places: railing on stairs, doorknobs, buttons in the elevator etc in public spaces.
4. Home: at home, you can wipe down surfaces used by all family members such as dining tables, chairs, wardrobe, toilet seat, electronic devices, TV remote, etc
5. Shoes: sanitize your shoes after your walk/trip outside. especially sanitize your work out shoes as wet and moist surfaces can carry viruses for a longer time.
6. Your pet's collar/leash: wipe them down after every walk.
Caring for yourself and others is the utmost priority at this time. simple daily cleaning habits can ensure a better protection for you and your family.