An intimate 10 second kiss can transfer over 80 million microorganisms including bacteria and viruses . Although most of the microorganisms are harmless but some can transmit infection from one person to another causing certain diseases including -
- KISSING DISEASE also known as infectious mononucleosis is caused by Epstein -bar virus and presents with flu like symptoms including fever ,sore throat , fatigue ,muscle weakness and swollen lymph nodes. The age group most affected is 15-30 years of age . Symptoms can last for some days and the disease is self-limiting with no cure as such.
- GUM DISEASE namely gingivitis and periodontitis is normally a slow progressing , rather painless disease leading to bleeding from gums , loosening of teeth ,bad odour and if left untreated eventual tooth loss . The bacteria associated with gum disease have the potential to infect a healthy mouth if transmitted through saliva of the diseased person.
- MENINGITIS is inflammation of the protective lining of the brain and spinal cord and can have fatal consequences if not treated properly and promptly . Meningitis can be caused by both bacteria or virus though bacterial infections are less severe
- COLD AND FLU is the most common infection affecting the populations worldwide . As it is a droplet air borne infection deep kissing can always transmit the disease .
- HERPES SIMPLEX OR COLD SORES OR FEVER BLISTERS is perhaps the most common viral disease affecting the human race ,with the exception of the viral respiratory infections . Painful blisters form inside and around the mouth and rupture and bleed also .Herpes simplex virus from active lesions can be transmitted to a healthy mouth through exchange of saliva during kissing . Oral sex can also transfer the virus to the genital organs causing genital herpes infection . Further once a person is infected though the disease cures itself in most individuals in some days or weeks ,the virus always remains within the body and does get reactivated under certain conditions