More people are overweight today than ever before. Leading an unhealthy lifestyle characterized by eating fatty foods, taking undue stress, not exercising regularly, and not resting well are the major causes for being overweight or obese. As a result, the incidence of obesity is increasing faster in India than in the rest of the world.
Obesity is the condition when you accumulate a harmful amount of fat in your body. Fat in excessive amounts can put most of your organs and bones in danger. In other words, obesity is a disorder involving excessive body fat that increases your risk of various health problems. It is also responsible for hormonal changes (an imbalance in your body’s hormones, the carriers of chemical messengers to various tissues and organs) resulting in the inflammation (swelling and redness) of your body.
Obesity: Causes, Symptoms and Risk Factors
Obesity is generally caused by eating too much and moving too little i.e., by leading a sedentary lifestyle. If you consume high amounts of fatty and sugary foods but do not burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, all the surplus energy will be stored by your body as fat.
Usually, shortness of breath, hypertension (high blood pressure), body aches, frequent acidity, depression, etc. are the early signs of obesity. If left untreated, obesity can cause social isolation, reduced sexual drive, lower productivity at work; and increase your risk of serious health conditions such as:
Heart disease and strokes
Type 2 diabetes (a condition in which there is excessive sugar in your blood)
Sleep apnea (a disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep)
Osteoarthritis (severe inflammation of your bones and joints)
Obesity and Body Mass Index (BMI)
A person with a body mass index (BMI) above 30 is considered obese, while a person with a BMI between 25 and 30 is considered overweight.
Obesity is a growing problem and can affect every aspect of your life, including your health as well as your relationships. The first step towards preventing obesity is to maintain a healthy body weight. There are various natural ways and ingredients in your kitchen that can help you lose weight easily.
Before we dive into the natural remedies on how to lose weight, let us quickly understand the concept of body mass index (BMI).
Body Mass Index (BMI) is your weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. Standard BMI levels are:
A BMI of less than 18.5 indicates that you are underweight.
A BMI between 18.5–24.9 means that you have a healthy weight.
A BMI of 25-29.9 indicates that you are slightly overweight.
A BMI above 30 is considered obese.
Maintaining a Healthy Body Weight The Natural Way
Various natural ingredients, herbs, or foods in your kitchen are highly beneficial in helping you lose weight. Remember that while you are trying to maintain a healthy weight, you should also make sure your diet has the right nutrition.
Here are 12 home remedies that will help you in losing weight and getting back into shape:
1. Honey and lemon. Drinking warm water with honey, along with a tinge of lemon in the morning could be an effective anti-cellulite treatment, as it helps to increase your body's metabolism, burn belly fat, and reduce weight gain.
Natural honey is fat-free, cholesterol-free (cholesterol is the waxy, fat-like substance that's found in all the cells in your body), and sodium-free. Lemon is low in calories and can promote fullness and helps to reduce calorie intake.
The combination of lemon with honey helps in improving digestion, kickstarting your metabolism (all chemical reactions that help you stay alive), and helping in burning fat.
Consuming honey and lemon water on an empty stomach will help in preventing constipation (when you pass less than 3 bowel movements in a week), improving digestion, removing toxins from your liver, and maintaining healthy skin.
Take one cup of warm water and then squeeze half a lemon into it. Mix two teaspoons of honey and drink it happily. Drink one to two cups of this mixture throughout the day.
2. Hibiscus Tea. Hibiscus contains phenolic compounds (nonessential dietary components appearing in vegetable foods that help reducing weight), flavonoids (a diverse group of plant chemicals that help maintain a healthy weight), and anthocyanins (blue, red or purple pigment compounds that fight obesity).
Drinking hibiscus tea will help in regulating the metabolism of lipids and is also useful in eliminating fat from your body.
Hibiscus tea is very effective in reducing the size of fat cells and balancing your weight.
Take two teaspoons of dry hibiscus leaves and add them to one liter of water. Boil them for nearly 10 to 15 minutes and strain them.
Drink at least 2 cups every day which will help you in losing weight.
3. Green Tea. It is rich in caffeine which helps in stimulating your body to burn fat and improving exercise performance. It is high in antioxidants, also known as catechins which are useful in boosting metabolism.
Green tea contains an ingredient called theanine which is a type of amino acid that is effective in relaxing and calming the mind and this, in turn, reduces stress. Stress releases a hormone called cortisol and high levels of cortisol are associated with weight gain. Drinking green tea can beat the stress and help you lose weight.
Boil green tea leaves in one cup of water for about 15 minutes. Strain it and add one teaspoon of honey and consume it. Drink green tea 2 to 3 times a day for effective results.
4. Oolong Tea. A commonly used Chinese beverage, oolong teas are known for accelerating your metabolism. It helps in fat metabolism and prevents the proliferation of fat cells. Oolong is rich in antioxidants which help in losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Take one teaspoon of oolong tea in a cup and add boiling hot water into it. Let it steep for about 7 to 8 minutes and allow it to cool. Add honey into it and drink it twice a day.
5. Ginger Tea. Ginger tea helps in promoting the feeling of satiety and reducing hunger. This causes you to eat less, maintain a healthy diet and a healthy weight. It is helpful in enhancing thermogenesis which is useful in burning the extra fat and it is rich in antihypertensive (reduces hypertension) and anti inflammatory properties.
Studies claim that antihypertensives help to lose weight and reduce belly fat in some people. Similarly, reducing inflammation with anti inflammatory foods or diet can aid weight loss.
Take one teaspoon of grated ginger and boil it in a cup of water. Let it simmer until the water has reduced to half. Add honey and mix well. Drink it at least twice a day.
6. Cinnamon. It has been used for years to reduce weight and especially recommended to people who suffer from metabolic disorders (disorders that occur when some organs like liver or pancreas become diseased and stop functioning normally).
Cinnamon is also very helpful in treating people who suffer from diabetes or have heart disease as they have low metabolism.
Cinnamon boosts metabolism and lowers cholesterol levels, which helps to keep your weight in check.
Take one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and add it to water. Mix a teaspoon of honey into it and consume it daily, once a day with an empty stomach.
7. Yogurt. It is full of good bacteria which helps in regulating the healthy functioning of your digestive system. It helps in facilitating weight loss by helping you get rid of all the extra fat collected in your body.
Yogurt is also recommended for people who suffer from type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular (heart) diseases.
Yogurt contains lactic acid bacteria which is very good for the gut and helps the body to increase body fat loss. Consume daily, once a day to lose weight.
You can opt for flavoured yogurts that are readily available in the market or add yogurt to your fruit and vegetable salad.
8. Cranberry Juice. It is rich in nutrients like Vitamin A, C, and calcium which are beneficial for your body. It is full of antioxidant properties that help in regulating urinary and digestive tract health. It helps in removing toxins from the body and boosting the metabolism which in turn, results in weight loss.
Drink cranberry juice two times daily.
9. Aloe Vera Juice. It is very helpful in boosting the metabolism and burning the calories that you have consumed throughout the day. Aloe vera juice is also useful in reducing inflammation from the body and facilitating weight loss.
Drink aloe vera juice about two to three times a day.
10. Fenugreek Seed. It is also known as methi, which helps in increasing the metabolism of your body. It is packed with fibers that help in reducing appetite and preventing you from overeating by reducing the feeling of hunger.
It is also rich in nutrients like Vitamin A and D, along with Iron.
Try to chew methi seeds daily to improve your digestion and promote weight loss.
11. Carom Seeds. Commonly known as ajwain, it is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, fibers, and minerals. It helps in balancing the cholesterol levels, maintaining blood pressure, and due to its anti-inflammatory, it is useful in reducing inflammation in your body. Carom seeds are also useful in detoxification.
12. Cumin Seeds. It helps in burning fat faster and is useful in increasing the speed of metabolism. You can lose belly fat by consuming cumin seeds or cumin water daily for about 20 to 30 days.
Beneficial for people who suffer from constipation, it helps in enhancing the activity of the digestive enzyme present in your gut.
Drink cumin water daily empty stomach once in the morning.
Other Preventive Tips to Maintain a Healthy Weight
Avoid foods that are high in carbohydrates like pasta, bread, or any kind of frozen food.
Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco which is also one of the reasons for weight gain.
Drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to maintain an ideal weight.
Eat lean meats and fish which are good sources of protein.
Include fruits and nuts in your diet.
Avoid foods that are high in sugar and salt.
Be active and exercise daily to maintain a healthy weight.
Have smaller meals at regular intervals.
Practice yoga or exercise every day.
Maintaining a healthy weight body is the key to preventing obesity. Lead an active lifestyle, eat healthy, sleep well, and stay stress-free to keep away from obesity and other disorders. Consult your physician in case you have any issues losing your weight.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.