Celery is a vegetable well known for its crunchy stalk and as a low calorie snack. It is commonly consumed with flavoured dips and sauces. The fruit and seeds are dried or pressed into oil for use as a medicine. Sometimes celery oil is marketed in capsule form. Some people also consume celery juice, which is known to have medicinal properties. The ancient Greeks used celery to make wine, which was given out as an award at athletic games.
So celery is a very useful vegetable and its benefits are mentioned below:- 1) Acidity: The important alkaline minerals found in celery effectively balance the body’s blood pH, neutralizing acidity.
2) Athletic recovery: Celery juice acts as the perfect post-workout tonic as it replaces lost electrolytes and rehydrates the body with its rich minerals.
3) Cancer: Celery is known to contain at least eight families of anti-cancer compounds. Among them are the acetylenics that have been shown to stop the growth of tumour cells. Then there are Phenolic acids which block the action of prostaglandins that encourage the growth of tumour cells. And coumarins which help prevent free radicals from damaging cells.
4) Cholesterol: There is a component in celery called butylphthalide, which significantly lowers total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol and prevents heart disease.5) Colon and stomach cancer:
The phytochemical, coumarin prevents the formation and development of the colon and stomach cancers.
6) Constipation: Despite being primarily water, celery also provides a fair amount of dietary fiber. The vegetable contains 1.6 grams of fiber per 100 grams. That acts as a natural laxative and prevents constipation. It also helps in relaxing nerves that have been overworked by man-made laxatives.
7) Diuretic: The potassium and sodium in celery helps to regulate body fluid and stimulate urine production, helping in eliminating excess fluid from the body.
8) Inflammation: The polyacetylene is a phytochemical found in celery and is amazingly beneficial for all inflammations like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis.
9) Kidney function: Celery promotes healthy and normal kidney function by aiding elimination of toxins from the body since it contains 80 to 90% water which helps in flushing out the toxins. While eliminating toxins, it also prevents formation of kidney stones.
10) Lower blood pressure: Drinking celery helps in lower blood pressure. A compound called phtalides helps in relaxing the muscles around the arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow normally.
11) Weight loss: Celery contains enough fibre to make you feel full for longer and prevents over eating. It also curbs your cravings for sugary and high fat foods.
12) Urinary stones, breaking of stone: The diuretic effect of celery juice also aids the breaking and elimination of urinary and gall bladder stones.