Ulcers in mouth
I have had an ulcer in my mouth for 2-3 weeks now. I smoke around 10 cigarettes everyday and I'm afraid that it may be something serious. The ulcer is not so big. My oral hygiene has not been good as well. Should I be worried? As far as I know, an early symptom of mouth cancer is ulcer. Can this be mouth cancer?

Dr. Suman Makam
Dentist 22 yrs exp Davanagere

Hello, Any form of tobacco is deleterious to the oral tissues.Dont panic.You definitely need to visit a dentist ASAP to get the ulcer checked and also to improve your oral hygiene.You are too young to spoil your health.Tc.Regards,DR Suman makam,Dental arts,Jayanagar,Bangalore
Dr. Kshitiz Rohilla
Oral Pathologist 11 yrs exp Faridabad

You are too young to be smoking and that too 10 cigarettes per day!!!!!! you seem educated enough to understand that it is a very deleterious habit and needs to be stopped  ASAP..... otherwise definitely you need to be worried about the changes in your mouth..... to add to this habit, if the oral hygiene is also not good, the risk for the dangerous effects of tobacco are even higher..... any ulcer should heal within a week......  so it is high time that you visit a dentist for a proper clinical examination so that any other local causes can be ruled out..... cleaning of the teeth for better oral hygiene is also advised at this point..... but just to repeat the first step that you need to take right now is to stop smoking.... Regards....
Dr. Hiren Patel
Dentist 5 yrs exp Bangalore

there are so many causes of mouth ulcers like- -Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple mouth ulcers. -Certain foods, including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes and strawberries), can trigger a mouth ulcer. -Sometimes a sharp tooth surface also trigger mouth ulcers. -Some cases of complex mouth ulcers are caused by an underlying health condition, such as an impaired immune system; nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, or iron deficiency and heat in stomach. . Don't worry about cancer n all... Usually ulcer heals by itself only within 1 week. You can take 'Becosule capsule' once in a day for 1 week for faster recovery. Temporarily you can apply mucopain gel over ulcer for relief..
Raghupathy
Oral Medicine and Radiology Chennai
Stop your smoking habbit and vist a dentist for evaluation
Dr. Vidisha Parashar
Dentist 11 yrs exp Delhi
Get it evaluated ASAP. You need to take care of your oral health. As you are too young to smoke 10 cigarettes a day. First and foremost thing is to get a check up done and maintain oral hygiene.
Dr. Harisha N L
Hi...avoid taking spicy ,hot ,chilly food items , avoid smoking ,chewing beetle nuts , alcohol, take vitamin tablets ,apply local anesthetic to area ,have tender coconut, buttermilk . have lot of fruits and vegetables...first and foremost advice of mine to you is to stop smoking. The benefits of quitting smoking are extraordinary. Once you're tobacco-free, your risks of heart disease, lung disease and cancer begin to drop even if you've been smoking for years....Consult physician.
Cancer is a broad term,to cause it there are so many factors involved in it,and cigarette smoking is one of them. You need to worry about your smoking habit ,please quit the habit. Since the ulcer is staying for 3 weeks,once go for a check up to nearby dentist for further guidance.Thank you.