Trouble opening mouth

I week back I had a surgical extraction. My wisdom teeth(right side)was taken off. Now I don't have any pain but I am not able to open my mouth.Doctor told me to try to put 2 fingers but I am not able to.

Doctor Answers (8) on Trouble opening mouth

Hello, The it's quite common to have this problem after impaction surgery.. we call it trismus.. doctor will prescribe u with some skeletal muscle relaxants along with few antibiotics
Dr. Puja Bansal Pune | Dentist
hello, do salt water rinses and you can do mouth opening exercises by supporting with two fingers.
in some cases temporary trismus may developed after surgical removal of wisdom tooth. that was self corrected with time. in early stages physiotherapy and luke water gargle play an important role to normalize this condition quickly.
Hi The condition is called trismus . Need not worry . You need muscle relaxants. Unfortunately the mouth needs to be forced open . Which is painful. But there is no other way. Simplest way is to take ice cream sticks and increase your mouth opening by 1-2 stick per day. Your dentist will train you in that Regards
Hi, Sometimes this happens which is ok.Do some warm water gargles,take muscle relaxants & do oral physiotheraphy( opening & closing of mouth by putting one finger on upper teeth & other on lower teeth & opening by using pressure) .This will settle down but will take some time.
Hello, Mam,no need to panic.This condition(trismus)is expected post impaction surgery.you need to do some mouth opening exercises(physio-therapy),rinse with luke warm water 4-5 times daily and take some muscle relaxants like flexon-MR tablets,twice daily for 3 days.Consult an oral surgeon. Regards Dr Sumanmakam
Dr. Ratnika Agarwal Pune | Dental Surgeon
Many a time’s the chewing muscles and the jaw joints are so sore after the tooth extraction that it becomes really difficult to open the mouth. This can happen for a few days after the extraction.In case the patient gets an infection after the tooth extraction in the tooth socket then he will not be able to open his mouth for a much longer period say as much as a week. Although Pain is the most common tooth extraction complication, trismus can become one of the more chronic and complicated problems to manage. To treat this condition, anti-inflammatory medicaments, heat therapy and rest will help
To treat this condition, anti-inflammatory medicaments, heat therapy and rest will help
It is trismus.you have to do some mouth opening exercises or you have to go to docter.where he has equipment to open the mouth