Teeth alignment

I have completely misaligned but healthy teeth. I am thinking of having caps/crowns for treating it instead of braces. I am 26 years old and braces might take 2 years to give the alignment. Will there be any negative effects of caps?

Doctor Answers (12) on Teeth alignment

Looking at your age only braces are the treatment of choice for you. Crowns should be put only if any the teeth is missing (bridge or implant ) or infected (after root canal).
You can look for different options in braces invisible, ceramic or metal according to your need the dentist can decide.
Hello Dental braces would be the best option for u... I would never in my wild dreams recommend u to go for crowns to correct ur misaligned teeth... And the treatment duration depends on how severe the malalignment is and how well u co operate with ur orthodontist during the course of your treatment... it could finish as early as 8 months or it could go till 3 years.. it varies from one patient to other... cannot be generalised about the treatment duration... Dr Bala Chennai
Hi Alignment usually takes place in 10-12 months . Yet in case you don't wanna get braces then crowns are the only option . You can even consider getting veneers if possible . Braces will still be a better bet at 26. Regards
Dr. Hemant Kr. Singh Noida | Dental Surgeon
Ortho choice  will be better.But if u don't  want to go for that,choose better crown quality i.e zirconia  or lava.You will face no problem.Don't  worry.
Dr. Puja Bansal Pune | Dentist
hello for caps wee have to make teeth size small, in long run you may need RCT, so instead of caps we do conservative treatment that is orthodontic treatment.
Hello, The best option for you would be to go for braces as these do not require trimming of your teeth,which has to be done if you opt for crowns.Braces are ideal for long term prognosis.Regards,Dr Sumanmakam,Dental arts,jayanagar,Bangalore.
Hi..braces are always best option. It is a natural way. With advancement in dentistry, these days you can finish treatment in six to ten months. Crowns are also good but teeth trimming is essential. You can visit me to know more by booking appointment on Practo.com

Regards

Dr. Abhijit Anil Tambe Nashik | Prosthodontist
Orthodontic treatment is always first choice of treatment for you.
Prosthodontics treatment is also there but only for minor correction of teeth, it wont correct severe malpositioning of teeth.
Visit your orthodontist and prosthodontist for opinion.
Orthodontic treatment should be considered first option to correct the mal-aligned teeth,  yes it is true that it takes time, because controlled pressure is applied to move your tooth at desired position. So, there is no fast track option for this, you can consider more cosmetic treatment options in orthodontic treatment.

To make any Crown (cap)  need to shape or reduce your teeth which will be permanent loss of natural tooth material,  in future might fill pain, sensitivity,  decay around caps, which will further reduce strength of your tooth.  So,  orthodontist treatment is good option, if not possible veneers is next option,  complete crown is last option to be considered.

Hi, according to your description if your teeth are completely misaligned then only treatment plan is putting braces as caps might not give the desired cosmetic result , also cap procedure requires cutting of tooth structure ,maybe more in your case bcoz of malalignment and root canals also to give desired result.So braces either metal or ceramic is the best option.
please consider braces as the first option...definitely there are negative effects with caps...you are losing precious enamel,the strongest substance in human body for that,and in your case unnecessarily...if you have any problem with metal braces,there are other otions like ceramic braces,invisible alligners,lingual orthodontics etc..
braces
Hi, before deciding a treatment by yourself visit a dentist first. Cap needs trimming of teeth why u want to touch healthy teeth like that. You can visit the dentist to know how much time braces treatment will take its not necessary that I always take 2 years depend on cases. Do visit your dentist and know your treatment plan first