Swollen gums- last tooth

I have this problem which comes and goes. The gums on my last tooth sometimes swell up a lot and it is extremely painful for a while. they become red and give out foul smell sometimes. I had got the tooth checked and a dentist told me it was fine no decay what else could be the issue? Should I consult a general doctor?

Doctor Answers (6) on Swollen gums- last tooth

Dr. Kunal R Shah Nashik | Orthodontist
Hi..as per description it seems to be problem associated with your wisdom tooth and this condition is called as pericoronitis. Wisdom tooth unable to come out fully in mouth can cause this problem. The best suited treatment for this case would be removal of that swollen gums. Rinse thoroughly with warm saline water and salt and get proper consultation done from Dentist. Thank you..
Hi.. It seems that you have a pocket at the wisdom tooth area where usually food particles get entrapped inviting bacterial colony. This often gets swollen up and causes bad smell. If the position of the tooth is not favourable go for extraction of wisdom tooth or as suggested .
Hi there! Your age and area of complaint suggests that you probably are suffering this because of pericoronitis. This is due to incomplete eruption of the third molar or wisdom tooth leading to food getting lodged in the space between the tooth and the gums partially covering it. This causes pain, swelling and infection in the area. Sometimes the pain may get relieved when the lodged food is removed via brushing. The most permanent solution for such wisdom teeth is getting them removed (extraction). The gums may be getting chewed upon by the upper and lower wisdom teeth. In which case the upper wisdom tooth may also be extracted. In the absence of third molar pls visit a dentist to thoroughly check adjacent teeth for caries or gingival pockets. Radiographs may be needed for thorough examination in both cases. Pls consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for removal of the third molar. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.
Dr. Sneha Sharma Delhi | Orthodontist
Hi, it's because ur 3rd molar, the wisdom tooth is erupting. U have to go for a check up, if the tooth is coming straight, the problem will resolve itself in some time and if the tooth is not coming straight, if it's tilted then ull have to go extraction of that tooth.
Hi it its third molar of the quadrant then the pain and swelling is may be due to the last tooth in ur jaw..get a review with ur dentist and if necessary a radiograph..best of luck take care
Dr. Ravi Goyal Thane | Dentist
It must be due to your wisdom tooth probably. Which needs to be checked.