Dietary Supplement Query

I am looking to start Omega 3 dietary supplements. I am a non-vegetarian but due to several reasons including lack of easy availability and non affordability my non-veg diet is very less. One serving of chicken or eggs in a month. No fish. I know walnuts have high ALA and so try to consume them regularly however EPA & DHA which are highly beneficial are only available via non-veg sources. Please advise good leading brands that can provide these Omega 3s and what should be my daily dosage ? Thank you in advance.

Doctor Answers (4) on Dietary Supplement Query

Fatima Radhanpurwala Navi Mumbai | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hello, as per what you said I dnt think you suffer from any illness. Thus you don't require supplements to be taken. Omega 3 receive from well balanced  diet is sufficient, only if you have diseases like cardiac disease, neurological disease extra supplements is must.
Kindly prefer food to supplement your require amount of omega 3.
Ms. Rekha Sachdev Pohani Pune | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Don't take supplements rather than prefer natural sources they will help u better
Dr. Farheen Hyderabad | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hai, It is not necessary that you should depend on only animal source for omega 3s and moreover now a days it is not a matter of concern to have non- veg as vegetables are almost of the nearest rates. However, servings of non- veg is anyways lesser than veg. I would suggest you to have a list of food which i will be giving you before going for a supplement. You can add a handful of ALA-rich nuts and seeds, such as pumpkin seeds, flax seeds or walnuts to your salad, yogurt or cereal to obtain some of your omega-3 fatty acids. you can obtain ALA from canola, soybean, olive, walnut, pumpkin and flax seed oils.leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, kale and cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower also contains ample amounts of omega 3s. Kidney, pinto, soybeans are the options for omega 3s in legumes. Some food products are now fortified with omega-3 fatty acids. Fortified orange juice and juice blends are available, but choose unsweetened juices. Just because a food product is fortified, does not mean it is healthy. You can find milk, eggs and yogurt fortified with DHA. Soy milk is naturally rich in ALA, and some soy products are fortified with DHA. I hope this information will be helpful for you and keep you from supplements.
Ms. Huda Shaikh Mumbai | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hi there