There is no scientific evidence to prove that using a corset or tying a cloth around your stomach can get it back into shape. That said, tying a cloth around your tummy or using a corset is widely popular and many cultures across the world encourage this practice. It is believed to:
- keep your tummy pulled in at all times
- reduce the extra fat
- tone the tummy muscles and get your stomach back into shape.
It is also believed to promote good posture, protect internal organs and prevent you from overeating. But bear in mind that tying a cloth around your tummy can:
- be uncomfortable and sometimes painful
- cause itching and rashes
- put pressure on your uterus, causing excessive bleeding
- lead to further complications if you've had a c-section
So it's best to get your doctor's go-ahead before you try this out. If you are concerned about going back to your pre-pregnancy shape, following a healthy diet and consistent exercise plan is the best way. Evidence suggests that a combination of diet and gentle exercise will help you lose weight after childbirth. But, do make sure you get your essential nutrients to stay healthy, especially if you are breastfeeding. Consult your doctor or dietician for an effective diet plan.