What you eat before and after your workout is just as important as the workout itself. Here are some pre and post workout eating tips to help you optimize your exercise regimen:
- Load up on carbs: One hour before you workout, you could at a fruit (apple or banana), toast or cornflakes and wash it down with a glass of water. This will give you the necessary energy and help you stay hydrated.
- Don’t starve: Exercising on an empty stomach is a no-no. It could lead to fatigue and a lack of energy.
- Avoid heavy meals: Normal individuals should maintain a gap of 2-3 hours between a heavy meal and a workout. This is to ensure that your sugar level reaches an optimum level.
- Eat within an hour: Once your workout is over, ensure that you eat within an hour. This will help prevent infections, as the body is most prone during this hour.
- Stay hydrated: The body loses salt while sweating. Replenish lost electrolytes with coconut water or some other electrolyte-rich drink.
- Greens: To support digestion, make sure that you include plenty of greens in your meal, as they are rich in fiber.