Sitting for long hours is as bad as smoking for your health. It increases the risk for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
Knowing all that many of us are unable to avoid it owing to our jobs and lifestyles.
But one thing that can be improved is to 'SIT CORRECTLY'.
WHEN SITTING ON A CHAIR -
- Push your hips as far as they can go in the chair.
- Keep your back straight.
- Keep your shoulders back.
- Your body weight should be distributed evenly on both hips.
- Position the knees at the same height or slightly lower than the hips.
- Feet should be flat on the floor.
- Do not cross your knees or ankles.
- Avoid sitting in the same position for a long time. Take short exercise breaks or just walk for a couple of minutes to get that circulation back. 5-10 mins every hour is good enough.
- Keep your screen at the eye level or maximum just 2 inches above it.
- Minimise your mobile calls. Bending your neck to hold the phone can cause stiff and painful neck muscles.
SOME SIMPLE EXERCISES TO BE DONE-
- Do 10 shoulder shrugs.
- Take your neck back gently 5 times.
- Get your right ear to the right shoulder 5 times and repeat the same with the left.
- Grasp your hands behind the back of your chair 5 times.
- Raise your legs up and rotate your ankles.
- Get up and touch your toes 5 times.
GOOD POSTURE not only improves physical health but also makes us feel more confident, active and happy!