How to reduce eye strain while using mobile phones, laptops, or watching TV?
In these testing times where we are all under lock-down for our personal safety from Coronavirus, screen time has significantly increased in our lifestyle. With changes in work from home rules, schools, and education norms, the entire family has increased their use of digital screens in their day to day lives.
Here are a few tips on how to reduce eye strain and keep your eyes healthy during summers:
- Ensure proper lighting in the room. Avoid using mobile phones in darkness.
- Use your glasses while using the screens.
- Try and maintain a minimum 1 feet distance from mobile screens, 1 arm distance from the laptop, and 10 feet from TV screens. The more the distance, the lesser the strain on eyes.
- Switch on 'Blue filter' or night mode on your screens for the duration of the entire day.
- Follow a simple rule of thumb where after working on your screen for more than 20 - 30 minutes, close your eyes for 2 minutes and then look at a very distant, far away object outside the window or balcony for two minutes. This helps relax the eye muscles.
- Use CMC eye drops (tear substitutes) three to four times a day.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, instead, wash eyes gently with cold water or use ice packs.
- Avoid using the mobile phone for half an hour before going to bed.
- Consult your ophthalmologist online if you experience symptoms like headache or eye pain.