Its April Fool, Don’t Just Drool, Learn to Be Cool, Learn to Beat the Summers!
It's just April, but the temperature seems to be rising rapidly every day, sending off warning bells to everyone to start taking precautions for heat waves and summer related woes.
The rising heat can affect overall health, in some cases, caused Heat Stroke too!
Tips to beat the summer heat:
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated.
- Wear loose-fitting and light colour clothes in summers. Prefer wearing cotton clothes.
- Do not step out in the sun without applying sunscreen. Sunscreen is your best friend in summer and helps to protect your skin from harmful rays.Apply sunscreen every 3 hourly to the exposed area of your skin.
- Carry an umbrella or wear a cap/ hat to protect your head from the sun when you go out.
- Wear sunglasses when out in sun.
- Trim your hair in summers.
- Take a shower twice a day.
- Eat light, small, frequent meals.
- Choose complex carbs in diet like whole grains, oats and lean protein like fish, sprouts, nuts, yogurts, etc.
- Include salads in your diet. Eat leafy lettuce and summer greens, corn on cob and cucumbers, in salads are delicious ways to stay cool.
- Eat more of fruits and vegetables such as watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, celery and radishes, which are all made up of over 95% water.
- Eat healthy fats like Omega-3 i.e. fish, flax seeds, olive oil, etc.
- Exercise daily. Restrict outdoor exercise to the cooler parts of the day. E.g. early morning or evening. Can choose walking, swimming, yoga.
- Hang wet towels/ clothes across the windows if you live in a dry climate. A cool, moist breeze can feel fantastic when it's hot out.
- Take breaks and rest in a shady spot if you are pursuing an outdoor job.
- Include cold beverages like coconut water, buttermilk, lime water, ice tea.
- Avoid eating refined food.
- Avoid wearing synthetic fibres.
- Avoid wearing dark and tight clothes during summers.
- Avoid extensive physical activity.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid eating fried, salty, processed and sugary food.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine & soft drinks since they all act as diuretics and may cause more fluid loss.
Stay cool, avoid exertion, and stay healthy and beat the summer heat.