The tamarind fruit is encased within a brown pod. Inside the pod of the tamarind is a soft, brown pulp with hard-coated black seeds.It is this pulp that people eat to get all the nutritional and health benefits of the tamarind. The pulp of the tamarind has a very sour taste while it is young, but as it ripens the pulp gets sweeter. Though the pulp will sweeten with age, the tamarind generally has a sour, acidic taste.Due to the rich source of potassium, magnesium, fiber and vitamins found in tamarind, food becomes not only healthier but also tastier. One of the many benefits of tamarind if that it fights against vitamin C deficiency and helps in reducing fevers while fighting against cold infections.
1. Tamarind leaves are extremely useful in treating burns. The soft tamarind leaves are kept in a pot, covered and then warmed over fire. The burnt leaves are then finely powdered and sieved to remove any gritty particles. This paste is then mixed to gingili oil and applied all over the burnt area. The mixture is very effective over the burnt areas and provides relief from the wound within few days.
2. It is also very useful for the skin. A poultice prepared out of the tamarind leaves crushed in water is quite helpful in healing inflamed parts of the joint and ankles. When applied to the joints, it helps in reducing the swelling and pain.Tamarind has been used to cure sore throats since ages. Read about quick relief tips for cold and cough.
3. Gargle of tamarind water is highly beneficial in treating a sore throat. Tamarind is used as a water pill to cure bilious disorders, and jaundice.
4. The juice extracted out of the tamarind flowers is consumed for cutting bleeding piles.Tamarind fights against cancer. It is an excellent source of antioxidants thereby preventing and curing cancer.Read more about antioxidants rich foods.
5. Tamarind helps in reducing the cholesterol levels in the body, thereby promoting a healthy heart. Get more information on heart-friendly foods.
6. Tamarind juice acts as a mild laxative. The juice extracted from tamarind is effective in curing and treating bile disorder.
7. Consumption of tamarind assures smooth functioning of the digestive system of the body. The pulp of the ripe tamarind is very useful in treating the digestive problems and constipation problems.
8. Tamarind pulp is softened in water and consumed to improve the loss of appetite Tamarind is rich in vitamin C and therefore its pulp proves out to be valuable in preventing and curing scurvy conditions.
9. Tamarind pulp, leaves and flowers when applied on swollen and painful joints, in many combinations, promises instant relief.The juice of the tamarind pulp helps in curing conjunctivitis. Eye drops, made out of tamarind seeds, are recommended to treat dry eye syndrome.
You should try adding tamarind to your daily diet because tamarind has many health benefits that are sure to keep you healthy and improve you overall health.