Speech Delay in Children
14 December, 2022
- Speech is a form of expression that is not just a function or mouth and lips or vocal apparatus.
- Apart from above following are more common causes
- A child who cannot hear.. deafness
- A child who can hear but cannot listen, attention deficit
- A child who gives attention but cannot understand, cognition deficit
- A child who can understand but cannot express, apraxia/aphasia
- Apraxia of speech: non verbal Communication deficit
- Aphasia of speech: verbal communication deficit
- Often if the child has behaviour issues in addition, there is also likely hood or poor understanding and possibility of autism.
- Speech delay lasting more than three months is itself a form of disability
- Other speech issues are speech paucity, echolalia, only need based speech,poor vocabulary issues related to sentence formation, issues of syntax and grammer and speech with poor composition and poor comprehension
- Remember unless child hears, listens, understands...child cannot express
- Initial expression is by eye contact, facial or body language or pointing
- And then only expressing in words
- Understanding to expression journey is two years with normal brain, needs active inputs of wide vocabulary through stories, essays and compositions.
- Teaching by music, videos, questions and physical activity doesn't help in improving cognition and vocabulary.
- Teaching by asking is like taking exam before the topic is understood.
- For more speech related tips by Dr Kondekar visit Facebook page http://facebook.com/speechandsenses
- comprehension.Each one will have a different way if approach.You may read my tips on speech development at www.facebook.com/speechandsenses
- Home >
- Health Articles >
- Speech Delay in Children
Articles based on Health interests