Good nutrition retards the ageing process, increases immunity, wound healing and protects against various skin diseases.
Alcohol has an adverse effect on particularly B-complex, Zinc, and Magnesium. Coffee and tea are inhibitors of Iron and Zinc.
- Essential for normal functioning of skin, eyes and gonads.
- Clinical features of Vit- A deficiency-Asteatosis and phrynoderma.
- Phrynoderma(toad skin) can be treated by B-complex, VIT-A, VIT-E and essential fatty acids(ex:-safflower oil)·
- Dietary sources -Butter, ghee, whole milk, curd, fish-liver oil and all carotene-rich foods(carrots, cabbage, tomato, mango etc).
- Excess intake of vit-A causes hypervitaminosis A (toxicity).
- D2 (ergocalciferol & D3 cholecalciferol)·
- Vit- D helps in absorption of calcium and phosphorous from the digestive tract.
- Fortified foods,
- Dairy products,
- Fish liver oil.
- Vit D3 is a pro-hormone.
- Adequate Vit-D be obtained by exposure to morning sunlight [200-400IU].
- Vit- E is the most important anti-oxidant.
- The Vit- E requirement is linked with essential fatty acids intake.
- Nuts, wheat germ oil, whole cereals barley and rice bran oil.
- Concerned about the skin it causes burning sensation of pins and needles, glove & stockings type of anaesthesia.
- Common food sources are Un milled cereals, nuts, liver, meat, eggs etc. yeast is rich in B1.
- Deficiency is seen as pallor and maceration of mucosa at angles of mouth dryness of skin,(Angular cheilitis).
- Milk and milk products, eggs, liver, green leafy vegetables are fair sources.
- Deficiency causes a skin disease called pellagra. Along with B3, decreased B2, B6, and decreased protein intake causes pellagra(rough skin).
- Occurs in middle age individuals, patches of redness and dry skin is seen around the neck, dorsum of hands, elbows, knees and dorsum of legs commonly seen in alcoholics.
- A primary deficiency occurs due to inadequate diet in vegetarians·
- B-12 deficiency causes hyperpigmentation (darkness) on the dorsal aspect of hands particularly knuckles.
- Folic acid and B12 are used to prevent the spread of vitiligo.
- Vitamin essential for hair and nails.