Pregnancy is one of the magnificent event in a woman's life. In midst of pregnancy, a common enigma is - what to eat and what not to eat. While new cravings emerge, it is also important that selection of food is safe for your baby. Everyone who comes to know about your pregnancy gives you a piece of advice that too especially on food, which creates confusion. In such a situation its better to ask your doctor to clear doubts. Its important to start with healthy eating habits early in pregnancy to have a healthy outcome.
Some foods which must be avoided in pregnancy are:
Raw (Unwashed) / undercooked vegetables – these should be avoided as if the vegetables are not properly washed and cooked it might contain eggs of a parasite called Toxoplasma Gondii which causes malformations in baby; so better to avoid them. Moreover the pesticides used in them are also harmful.
Undercooked Egg/ meat/poultry- these may contain typhoid bacteria and listeria which can lead to food poisoning and vomiting and diarrhea.
Unpasteurized dairy products, soft cheese and juices - Do remember to be careful with their manufacturing and expiry dates. These may contain bacteria like E.Coli and Salmonella which upsets tummy and can lead to gastroenteritis and typhoid.
Few Sea foods - Fishes like mackerel, tilefish, sword fish and shark contain high content of mercury which affects mental development of fetus. Fishes grown in polluted water, refrigerated and smoked sea foods should also be avoided.
5. Nuts – In case of allergies.
6. Caffeine - Tea and coffee intake should be limited to a maximum of 3 cups/day.
7. Herbal tea - Herbal tea’s may contain unwanted supplements, so better to avoid it.
8. Canned food/juices/Fizzy drinks/ Refrigerated foods and left overs - they all contain preservative bi-phosphenol A which affects baby’s endocrine activity.
9. Nitrate rich food like bacons, diet soda, sausages, artificial sweetener.
10. Alcohol - it leads to fetal alcohol syndrome (small size of brain, face and mouth), miscarriages, preterm births and small babies.
11. Smoking - Its very harmful for you whether you are pregnant or not. In pregnancy it leads to miscarriages, growth restriction of baby and preterm birth.
12. Food which should be used in moderation include rice, potato, refined flour, fatty food and sugar.
Take care and all the best for the most eventful journey of your life!