Eating pumpkin is good for the heart and will help in keeping you in shape as well.
It's also good news for patients with High Blood Pressure. The potassium content in pumpkins would help in maintaining normal blood pressure levels.
Nowadays, most children suffer from poor eyesight and have a diet that constitutes only junk food. So if the parents include simple vegetables like pumpkin, which is rich in provitamin Beta- carotene (converted to Vitamin A), it can help in keeping those nasty specs away from the sparkling eyes of your kids.
For women, it has a lot of fiber which helps them to keep in good shape and tone. And during lactation period after childbirth, it keeps the hormones in optimum range for milk formation.
In the early twentieth century, people used pumpkin seeds to treat enlarged prostate symptoms. They contain protective compounds called phytosterols, which may help shrink the prostate which is an add-on benefit of pumpkin.
"So eat this Golden colour to get all the Golden Benefits."
Here is the recipe for hearty soup of pumpkin to enjoy.
- Pumpkin (250 gm)
- 1 Medium size onion peeled, chopped
- Olive oil 1tsp
- Salt as to taste
- Black pepper as to taste
- Lemon juice 1tsp
- Dried basil or fresh basil leaves for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker, add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add diced pumpkin, saute for a minute, then add 1 cup water and pressure cook until one whistle is given out. Strain excess stock and reserve.
- Puree the vegetable
- Add the reserved stock and a cup of water to puree to reach the required consistency.
- Garnish with basil leaves, sprinkle lemon juice and serve.