PREVENTING DIABETIC BLINDNESS
- DIABETIC RETINOPATHY(DR) can cause blindnes
- DR is one of the microvascular complications ofDM. It is one of the leading causes of acquired blindness due tomicroangiopathy affecting the retinal arterioles, capillaries, and venules the mean duration of DM in diabetic patients with retinopathy was 15.4 ± 1.06 years and in diabetic patients without retinopathy, it was 4.84 ± 1.15 years .
- 1 in 11 ADULTS HAVE DIABETES, BY 2040 1 IN 10 ADULTS WILL HAVE DIABETES,
- 46.5% OF ADULTS WITH DIABETES ARE UNDIAGNOSED,
- EVERY 6 SECONDS A PERSON DIES FROM DIABETES.
India ranks second in the prevalence of diabetes globally (with 67 million diabetics)
DR group was found to be more between the age group of 56-70 years (56%)
DR was found to be higher in men compared with women.
WORLD DIABETES DAY 2016 The theme for WDD 2016 is ‘Eyes on diabetes’This year’s activities and materials focus on promotingtwo key messages:Screening for type 2 diabetes is important to modify its course and reduce the risk of complications,screening for diabetes complications is an essential part of managing type 1 andtype 2 of diabetes.
DR MANAV SETIYA, VITREORETINAL SURGEON.