Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome - a health problem that we have been hearing about very frequently. 1 in every 5 women suffer from PCOS in India and the count is increasing with every passing day. Though PCOS does not have a cure as the cysts can occur again at any point of time,a woman suffering from it can lead a normal life by adopting a healthy lifestyle.
So what is PCOS? Let us understand.
- PCOS is basically an endocrine disorder where there is a hormonal imbalance leading to a wide range of problems such as irregular menses (periods once in 2 months or as long as 3 months), hirsutism(excessive hair growth in certain areas of the body),acne and hair loss.
- It has also been known to lead to insulin resistance.Nowadays weight gain has also become a prominent issue in females suffering from the same which again makes the menstrual cycle irregular.
- This condition mainly affects the ovaries which are capable of producing female hormones and eggs.It can be genetic or can be caused by environmental or lifestyle issues.Any women at any age can go down with PCOS , but it is mainly known to affect the the younger lot.
Now let's understand the treatment process employed for PCOS-
- Patients are treated with oral contraceptives as they contain female hormones which can regularize the menstrual cycle.Many of the PCOS patients are put on metformin and clomiphene to stimulate ovulation leading to conception.
- However the best treatment of PCOD lies in weight loss as losing weight can help in reducing male hormone levels(testosterone) and also lessen excessive hair growth caused by male hormones.Women with PCOS see amazing results with weight loss as it also helps in regularizing the menses.
Hence diet and exercise play a crucial role in reducing PCOS symptoms and also decrease the risk of going down with diabetes. Studies show that diets rich in fiber and omega fatty acids can work wonders for women suffering from PCOS.
PCOS is not a disease and one can overcome it with a combination of well balanced diet and exercise.