The year 2020 will be distinctively remembered by one and all for the Coronavirus pandemic.
In the blink of an eye, we all, from our day-to-day routine of travelling to our workspaces, colleges, and schools, got locked up in our households.
The feeling of vulnerability about the pandemic affected almost everyone and the fear of acquiring the infection prevented us all from moving out of our homes. It is normal to feel fearful and anxious during these tough times.
Now, what exactly can we do to deal with the stress and anxiety during these hard times? How do we lessen the emotional stress and cope up with being socially distant from our near and dear ones?
The only way out of this destructive psychological consequence is to resort to a constructive and positive mindset. Nothing but a positive outlook can help you to deal with all of this chaos.
Here are 5 tips that will help us take care of our mental health during the pandemic:
1. Practising relaxation techniques like yoga. It is a great way to boost one’s mental and physical health. Practising yoga or meditation for at least 15 to 30 minutes daily is surely going to help us relax, both our mind and body.
We are aware of the fact that stress can adversely affect our overall health and hence, yoga can be our go-to technique to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
2. Focusing on self-care. Self-care is the best care. When we feel concerned or overwhelmed, the first thing we must do is step back and take deep breaths to calm ourselves down.
It is important to invest time in pampering oneself and doing things we love the most, which are often left behind due to a busy schedule.
Engaging in activities such as painting, gardening, or playing an instrument can help in keeping our minds relaxed and can improve our mental health.
3. Trying to stay socially connected. It is necessary for all of us to stay in touch with our family and friends, even more during these times. Staying connected will provide us great comfort and will also help us in realising that we are not alone.
Having conversations and discussions about positive topics such as new hobbies and interests, cooking tips, etc., will keep the mood light and happy. This way, we can not only help in motivating and uplifting each other but also help our near and dear ones in facing health issues such as anxiety, loneliness, and depression.
4. Choosing positivity over negativity. The human mind has an in-built negativity preference that usually makes us incline to or remember negative happenings over positive ones.
Understanding this, when we feel restless and trying to make an effort to overcome any negative feelings and thoughts is the need of the hour. This will also help in bringing in a change of perspective, and reminding ourselves of all the positive things happening around us.
Keeping a positive mindset can help each of one us deal with mental health issues.
5. Consulting a professional. If emotional problems are bothering us even after constantly trying to cope with the stress, we must reach out for help.
Consulting a professionally qualified therapist for mental and emotional problems can help us cope with stressful situations and improve our mental health.
Keeping a positive mindset and staying optimistic will help us deal with stressful situations in a more constructive way. It will benefit our mind, body, and overall health.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.