Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough of thyroid hormone. In this condition there is an unexplained weight gain.
WHAT CAUSES HYPOTHYROIDISM?
The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland which help in controlling the metabolism of body. Your body metabolism determines blood pressure, heart rate, weight..
SYMPTOMS OF HYPOTHYROIDISM:
- Changes in menstrual cycle.
- Dry hair
- Dry skin
- Sensitivity to cold skin
- Slow heart rate
- Swelling of thyroid gland
- Unexplained weight gain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Puffy face, hands, feet
- Brittle hair and nails
- Limit fat intake as it will cause weight gain.
- Limit sugar and starchy food like juices, breads, chocolates, potato,etc as these foods will lead to weight gain.
- Have complete fiber diet. For example raw vegetables, daliya, salads, fruits, chia seeds, etc.
- Increase water intake
- Have small and frequent meals so that you don't eat much at one time and also to control your hunger panks.
- Have healthy snacks like veg. sprouts, veg. besan cheela, handful roasted chana, 3 to 4 almonds, etc.
- Don't sample everything on buffet table. The more you have the more you eat.
- Don't overeat. Portion size is the key to weight management. At any meal stop eating before you are full.
- Ask yourself am i really hungry? might be you are thirsty but not hungry.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly as by not chewing your food properly you gulp more food and healthy digestion and absorption of nutrients takes place only when you chew your food properly.
- Avoid eating processed and refined foods as it will lead to weight gain.
- Avoid medication of thyroid with coffee. keep a gap of at least 30 minutes.
- Avoid alcohol as it can play havoc.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners.
FOOD TO BE AVOIDED:
- Soya flour
Although cooking these items may reduce the effect. It's better to avoid them totally.
FOODS THAT CAN BE INCLUDED:
- Dairy products
- Tuna, etc.
Every individual is unique. Hence, every person experiences a different set of symptoms. It is important to observe a healthy diet. Consult an experienced dietitian. Enjoy journey to health!