Geriatric population become less responsive to thirst cues, leaving their mouth dehydrated, the general remedies given below will help everyone:
- Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking plenty of water and only limitation being heart, liver and kidney patients needing moderation.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol consumption.
- Use a humidifier while you sleep to help boost moisture in your mouth and on your skin.
- Consuming watermelon,cucumbers, peaches, nectarines and even popsicle ensures your well hydrated.
- Drinking papaya juice adds the much-needed enzyme to your saliva. (A perfect fruit for diabetics as well, again with moderation and as advised by your dietician)
- Load yourself up with lots of lemonade. It stimulates your salivary activity.
- Brush your teeth and dentures regularly.
- Use mouth rinses that are alcohol-free.
- Gargle with club soda or water and salt 3-4 times a day.