The first thought which comes to many of us when choosing a Dentist is to go to a local dentist near by (a small dispensary type) or to a bigger corporate setup. The choice of choosing a Dentist as per our advice is to be done predominantly based on the procedure to be done or required for your dental problem.
If it is a small procedure like going for a tooth pain consultation any nearby clinic is adviced whereas if you are going for any high end procedures like jaw surgeries,invisible braces, dental implants the choice of choosing a dentist is either a speciality dentist or a corporate hospital with big panel of speciality dentists.
In India ,our health system is not supporting dental health insurance ,which blocks many middle and poor people to get high end procedures as they desire. Also lack of knowledge about oral health cause lots of problem in teeth which in turn will affect the patients in choosing a good dentist because of pricing and other reasons.
In dentistry there are 6 clinical specialities to choose, ranging from oral medicine (to find out oral diseases), oral maxillo facial surgery (to remove impacted tooth, jaw corrections), pedodontics (child tooth care), endodontics (for rct), orthodontics (correcting the malpositioned tooth), prosthodontics (implants, dentures). So choosing a hospital with multiple specialists is always best because they are more professionally and technically trained in handling particular type of problems, which is best to undergo.
To help others in choosing a Dentist
The following criteria can be noted like:
- clinic working hours (check whether the doctor works both morning and evening)
- check the office to make sure its clean, neat and orderly
- see how courteous are staff members
- observe the dentist and staff wearing gloves and other protective gear during treatment
- see what arrangements are made for handling emergencies outside of office hours
- see whether all the informations about all fees and payments are planned before treatment is scheduled
- see whether all your appointments are scheduled by sms and reminder for checkups are given conveniently
- see whether your records are maintained digitally for future reference
- see how much they take care of your needs
- check their ability to clarify all the doubts with the help of visual aids like videos, photos of previous cases
I think the above mentioned points will help you to choose the best dentist in any area.