Urinary tract infection is infection in urinary tract at any point (kidneys, ureter, bladder, urethra) by microbes and bacterias are the most commonly seen microbes but in few cases fungal and viral microbes may also be seen.
The infection may be seen in upper urinary tract that is kidneys and ureter or lower urinary tract that is bladder and urethra.Women are more prone to have urinary tract infection than men.
Women are more affected because:
- Female urethra is close to anus.Female urethra is shorter than male urethra.
- Sexually active women are more prone to have UTI.
- Birth control methods which involve invasion in the vagina also increase the chances to have recurrent UTI.
- After menopause women lacks estrogen which causes dryness which increase possibilities of infection.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
- Symptoms if the upper urinary tract that is kidneys and ureter are infected are:
- Pain and heaviness in flanks is felt which may involve the back also.
- In case of severe infection high fever is also seen.
- Nausea/ vomiting along with pain.
Symptoms if lower urinary tract i.e. bladder and urethra are involved are:
- Burning micturition that is burning sensation while passing urine.
- Frequent urination with urge to urinate again and again.
- Pain in lower abdomen.
- It may be experienced as pain in anus in men.
- Hematuria that is blood in urine.Urine may appear turbid.
- Offensive urine.
- Painful urination.
UTI is most commonly spread from the gastrointestinal tract and the bacteria E coli from the gut is the common causative factor.
Fungal and viral causes are also seen.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
Along with the symptoms urine routine and microscopic analysis is enough to establish diagnosis.
Treatment usually include antibiotics.Advice on maintaining hygiene is given.Proper hydration would help.
- Plenty of water would help excreting the bacteria by diluting the urine and frequent urination.
- Food items that cause dehydration such as coffee, alcohol, carbonated drinks should be avoided.
- Hot water bottle would relieve the pain in abdomen.
- Proper hygiene should be maintained.
- Ask the female patient the clean the area from forwards to backwards.
Homeopathic management includes medicines along with the above mentioned advices.Homeopathy has many Wonderful medicines which would help in treatment of UTI without any side effects and permanently also.
Medicines like CANTHARIS, SARSAPARILLA, BENZOIC ACID, NITRIC ACID, SEPIA, APIS MELLIFICA, PULSATILLA, MAG PHOS etc work very nicely depending on the symptoms of the patient.
Note: This article is written by the doctor or the practitioner (author) for informational purposes only. Please DO NOT SELF MEDICATE. Always consult a practicing homeopath before taking any medicines.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink coconut water and fresh juices.
- Maintain hygiene.Clean the area from forwards to backwards.
- Take homeopathic medicines.
- Don't dehydrate yourself
- Don’t take coffee, alcohol, colas much.
- Don't clean your area from backwards to front.