The kitchen is a veritable natural pharmacy. Here are few herbs and spices that have curing properties:
- BASIL: Basil is called as tulsi in hindi. Basil is used as a tea to reduce menstrual cramps. In India it is considered as the "king of herb". It is an excellent breath freshener, has blood pressure lowering components.
- BAY LEAF: Bay leaf is called as tez patta in hindi. Bay leaf is used in teas with peppermint to ward off colds, flu, bad breath. Boiled bay leaves may be used on chest to relief cough. Bay leave are also used in cooking beans to improve their digestibility.
- CORIANDER: Both coriander leaves and seeds are used in cooking. It is used as a coolant to cool down the hot stomach, banish intestinal gas and aid digestion. 2 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaf should be eaten as soon as indigestion hit or sprinkle it on food for prevention.
- FENNEL SEED: Fennel seeds are called as saunf in hindi. Hot fennel tea helps n reliving respiratory congestion and three cups a day helps nursing mothers in producing more milk.
- GARLIC: Garlic is the king of all medicinal herbs. Garlic helps in lowering down the cholesterol levels, high blood pressure. It also helps in regulating blood sugar level. Most of the benefits are from raw bulb. Mixing garlic with honey helps in getting relieve from cold.
- GINGER: Ginger is an excellent remedy for indigestion and nausea, including motion sickness and morning sickness. Ginger tea is helpful for headaches, chest congestion and indigestion. Ginger water mixed with lemon also aids in weight loss.
- MUSTARD SEED: Mustard seeds helps in regulating irregular heart-beat, cholesterol and blood sugar levels because of it's magnesium content. Ground mustard seed in a foot bath helps in relieving respiratory congestion. Mustard greens are a good source of beta-carotene, calcium and iron as well as vitamin-C
- OREGANO: Oregano helps in preventing respiratory complaints and cough. It also gives soothing effect. Earlier oregano tea was used to treat poisonous insect bites, cough and digestive problems. It is an excellent digestive aid.
- PEPPERMINT: peppermint is known as pudina in hindi. Peppermint tea helps in relieving flu symptoms and clear congestion from the head. Peppermint tea creates a cooling sensation on the skin, so it's good for menopausal women. Earlier monks used it as a teeth polisher for a brighter smile. Too much peppermint tea may inhibit iron absorption too.
Try to opt for natural remedies first then opt for antibiotics.