Let's see about GERD in brief. One of the common diseases affecting all age groups at present
It's nothing but gastroesophageal reflux disease where the gastric contents regurgitate into the oesophagus.
- Old age
- Poor lifestyle etc.
- Retrosternal discomfort
- Foreign body sensation in the throat
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Water brash
- Epigastric pain
How is this diagnosed?
Most of the time, it's a clinical diagnosis wherein the patients present with any of the above-mentioned symptoms. But the confirmed diagnosis is with endoscopy
Is it essential to do an endoscopy?
You can get managed with the oral drugs if you are less symptomatic initially. In case you have severe vomiting or the symptoms persist even with drugs or it affects your day to day activities then get the endoscopy done to assess the grade and the treatment will depend upon the severity.
How is this treated?
We prescribe proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole along with drugs to improve oesophagal kinetics like domperidone. Antacids are also given if required. The severe grades that are not controlled with the drugs can be taken for surgical management like fundoplication.
Are there any home remedies:
It's with lifestyle modifications like:
1. Having small meals at frequent intervals
2. Taking low fat, low salt, low spicy diet
3. Avoid chocolates
4. Reduce having milk products like cheese and butter
5. Avoid tea and coffee, pizza and burgers
6. Eat at least 45 mins before going to bed
7. Sleep with your head end elevated with the help of 2 pillows or lie on your left or right lateral position
8. Avoid skipping meals
9. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
Is GERD a serious issue?
It's not a serious disease if treated properly. If left uncontrolled then the complications like Barrett's oesophagus develops which might even turn into oesophagal cancer.
So keep your symptoms within control, stay healthy :-)
Hope this helps!