Fungal infection is one of the most common infections, which can result in lots of itching and sleepless nights. It can spread from one person to another but with proper knowledge and understanding, the spread can be prevented. Though it can occur in any season or age group but is most common in summers, rainy season and winter season. Most commonly it is seen in the areas of skin folds with moisture, humidity, and sweating like - below the breast, underarms, thighs and other private parts. It has a tendency to come back again and again. Hence, with proper and adequate treatment and a few precautions, it can, not only be completely cured but can be prevented as well.
The key to successful treatment depends on how early you start the treatment. The earlier you start, the better and the faster will be the results.
Below are a few tips to identify it and to prevent it:
- Itching and burning
- Formation of circular rings
- Formation of fissures
- Blackening of nails
- Hair fall and flakes in the scalp
- Wash your clothes daily in hot water, sun dry, and iron them before wearing
- Wear loose cotton clothes
- Keep your nails well-trimmed and clean
- Wear tight and wet clothes
- Do manicures and pedicures especially in the rainy season
- Share towels, napkins, or other clothes
- Self-treat a fungal infection. It is best to reach out to a doctor in case you notice one.
- Use steroid creams without consulting a doctor
In case of a severe infection, do not self-treat or self-medicate. Talk to a dermatologist and seek the right advice.