Five Cancer Prevention Measures include:
1. Stay away from tobacco products and alcohol
2. Eat healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables are good. Daily physical activity to maintain optimal body weight.
3. Sun exposure protection for safety.
4. Awareness of early alarming signs: CAUTION
- Change in bowel or bladder habits.
- A sore that will not heal.
- Unusual discharge or bleeding.
- Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles, or elsewhere.
- Indigestion or difficulty swallowing.
- Obvious change in a wart or mole.
- Nagging cough or hoarseness
5. Cancer Screening: Screening is a test for healthy individuals for early detection of problems. Rather than going for unnecessary blind tests, screening should be planned in consultation with your oncologist as requirements are different for different cancers and differ as per age groups and gender. Also screening is not effective in all cancers. Cancer education and awareness has due importance. Some cancers in which screening has been shown to be effective includes breast, colon, rectum, cervix, prostate, lung in high risk groups but as mentioned earlier it is planned with participation of both individual and oncologist.