Nowadays the number of fatty liver patients in our OPD are increasing day by day, according to medical science Some fat in your liver is a normal thing. But if it makes up more than 5%-10% of the organ's weight, you may have a fatty liver disease. It's an alarming sign to your body.
Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease affects about 25 % of people in the world.
There are two main types of fatty liver disease:
- Alcoholic liver disease (ALD)
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD)
You can also get fatty liver disease during pregnancy.
Alcoholic Liver Disease (ALD):
You can get an alcoholic liver disease from drinking lots of alcohol. It can even show up after a short period of heavy drinking.
Other things that may affect your chance of getting ALD are:
- Hepatitis C (which can lead to inflammation in your liver)
- Too much iron in your body
- Being obese
Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD):
It's also more likely to happen to those who are middle-aged and overweight or obese. People like that often have high cholesterol and diabetes as well.
Other causes are:
- Viral hepatitis
- Autoimmune or inherited liver disease
- Fast weight loss
Some studies show that too much bacteria in your small intestine and other changes in the intestine may be linked to the non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Ayurvedic remedy for fatty liver:
Foods and activities which increase fat: Excessive consumption of Kapha increasing foods and activities which tend to increase fat in the body and also reduce the capacity of the liver to process and digest Fat. We correlate that Meda or fat is a Kapha element (rich in Kapha). Therefore the same causes which bring about a pathological increase in Kapha also will increase Meda in the body. In the Medo Roga among many cases, consumption of Kapha increasing food and activities is one chief cause which is said to cause a disturbance in fat metabolism leading to fat-related disorders.
Other avoidable foods in fatty liver (avoid excessive usage):
- Masha – Black grams
- Godhuma – Wheat
- Tila pishta vikruti – Preparations and dishes made up of paste of Sesamum
- Dadhi – Curd
- Dugdha – Milk
- Payasa – Sweet dish prepared with milk base
- Ikshu Vikara – Derivatives of Sugarcane like sugar, jaggery etc
- Anupa Mamsa – Flesh of animals living in marshy land
- Audaka Mamsa – Flesh of aquatic animals etc.
How to treat Excess Meda and Medo Roga (Sthoulya) in FLD:
The treatment principles and medicines explained in the treatment of Medo Roga should be tried in Fatty liver disease. They are highly effective. The below mentioned are the treatment and medicines of Medo Roga:
Preferred treatments in Medo Roga:
- Udwarthana – Medicated powder, pastes are used to massage in the reverse direction of the hairs
- Vaman – Therapeuticemesis
- Virechana – TherapeuticPurgation
- Vasti (Teekshna Kashaya Vasti) –Strong enemas with decoctions which reduce fat should be given
- Lekhana Vasti –Enemas prepared with drugs having a capacity to scrap the excess fat accumulated in the body
Good foods in Medo Roga:
- Purana Shali – Old rice
- Mudga – Green grams
- Kulattha – Horse gram
- Yava – Barley
- Kaphahara Ahara – All food and diet which can reduce Kapha