Diabetes in women, especially pregnant women is a matter of great concern and something that should not be ignored.
Diabetes symptoms in women and a few tips of advise:
- If your are pregnant, ask your gynecologsit to check your blood glucose at confirmation of pregnancy and at 16 - 28 weeks again
- Gestational diabetes is diagnosed by Glucose tolerance test with 75 gm glucose
- Consult your Endocrinologist if your blood sugars are high during pregnancy.
- Your Endocrinologist will initially advise a diet and gradual walking after meals.
- If diet and gradual walking does not control your blood sugars, your Endocrinologist will start you on medications like metformin or insulin injection.
- Metformin and insulin are safe during pregnancy and have no effects on the development of the baby.